Tunnels Under The Nag's Head, Chapel Allerton?

Places to explore
TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

uncle mick wrote: TenDaysaLoiner wrote: liits wrote: I don’t suppose your relative was one of the Boothman brothers..? Er... yes. Tom. He had Boothman's Dairy in Shadwell, then Harehills. I think the pub was had by two of his brothers in succession? Are you a rellie, or are they more infamous than I thought? Have you read this ?http://theknittinggenealogist.wordpress ... da-carter/ I wrote it! Well not the bit about the Nag's Head, that's a guest post but it's my blog. ;o)Just curious if anyone who's actually lived in Leeds has ever heard about this, or could shed some light. It would be great to re-visit that story.

liits

Post by liits »

John Boothman succeeded the license of the Nags Head at the Licensing (Transfer) Sessions held at the Town Hall on Friday 8th August 1890 Having Bought the tenancy of the pub from the Albion Brewery.He died on 8th December 1913 leaving an estate of £466 4s 8d to his widow Ellen. It would be interesting to know why his wife did not take on the running of the business.The license transferred at the next transfer session, Friday 23rd January 1914, to his brother Jesse.The post in your blog states that Jesse was already enlisted in the Territorial’s, and that he was called up when war broke out leaving his wife to run the pub. Do you know the dates of his army service? Your blog entry about him retuning from the war and being had-up for after hours drinking is correct inasmuch as he was convicted but it was on 1st June 1916 the charge stating “Jesse Boothman, the holder of a Justices License did supply to William Henderson and others in the licensed premises, certain intoxicating liquor and three half pints of beer to be consumed on the premises at 10.40pm” This being in contravention of the 1916 CCB Liquor Traffic orders. He was fined £3 or 16 day imprisonment.As the charge states that it was Jesse, not his “agent” [one of his staff / wife], presumably, it was actually Jesse himself who was on the premises and did the deed.Only a month or so after his conviction the tenancy and the license transfers to John Laking [who had previously been the licensee of the Black Bull, Lands Lane] on 21st July 1916.The reason I ask about the dates of his army service are that from July 1915 any man who was serving with the colours [who was a licensee] was able to nominate his own manager as the licensee in his stead, until he returned from military service. Most men nominated their wife. [although the Licensing Justices [acting under the auspices of the Central Control Board (Liquor Traffic) – an adjunct to the Defence of the Realm 1914 Act] did not refuse any nomination [not in Leeds, anyway], it was not unknown for refusals to occur.]Jesse didn’t nominate Violet to hold the license in his stead so, did his army service end in 1916 or did he sell the business while continuing in the army?

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

Hi liitsI wouldn't know, but I can ask Jesse's grand-daughter, if she knows any more about it. I'll get back to you with what she says. Our two branches of the family lost contact so I knew nothing about Jesse apart from how he died - many years later.My great grandad was one of Jesse's older brothers, Tom. Where did you get the info? It's interesting. The Boothmans were originally a farming family in Barnoldswick but when Jesse and Tom's dad, William, came to Leeds he took a farm at Roundhay, which Jesse eventually took over. Tom owned several houses on Roman Ave, Roundhay - a big Victorian house and a 1930's house, and he also owned Bradley Terrace, and a house on Bankside St in Harehills. He built his business selling milk from the Roundhay farm. I have a feeling Jesse took over the farm when his dad died, and so at the time he took the pub, I'm guessing he still had the farm, which is probably where his wife needed to be as that would have been their primary income. I could be wrong - will ask Jesse's grand-daughter by email.The Boothmans seem to have been larger than life characters.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Attached, a list of Boothmans from the Leeds Alphabetical Directory of 1923 which includes 2 Boothmans listed as farmers.Regarding Jesse in the army all I can find is that he was a Private in the Royal Army Service Corps, number 36325
Attachments
__TFMF_25fooifstpma0q55ow4etora_5e2ac826-2e63-4857-b04e-4261f90999bf_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_25fooifstpma0q55ow4etora_5e2ac826-2e63-4857-b04e-4261f90999bf_0_main.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

uncle mick wrote: Attached, a list of Boothmans from the Leeds Alphabetical Directory of 1923 which includes 2 Boothmans listed as farmers.Regarding Jesse in the army all I can find is that he was a Private in the Royal Army Service Corps, number 36325 Cheers, uncle.Here's some photos of Jesse and the horses during the time of WW1. (Hi-jacked link removed)Tom was too old for soldiering - Jesse was the youngest Boothman brother. I've a feeling the Roundhay Farm (Homestead Farm, I think it is, on a census) was probably a tenant farm on Lord Harewood's estate, and according to Amanda, the training ground was in front of the farm, which is how he must have known Lord H, and why he didn't get sent to the Front. He'd have been more use to them breaking in horses.    

liits

Post by liits »

I did have a look for his service records but all that suvives is his medals index card.The farm [the one that his father bought], Holmstead Farm survives at least in name. The original buildings having been demolished and replaced by a house, Holmstead Lodge. The adjoining large house [not where the Boothmans lived] also survives.    
Attachments
__TFMF_qt5grl454jepji45u5gerwy2_b91acd00-e1eb-4071-b566-1c699e98018f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qt5grl454jepji45u5gerwy2_b91acd00-e1eb-4071-b566-1c699e98018f_0_main.jpg (240.81 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

liits wrote: I did have a look for his service records but all that suvives is his medals index card.The farm [the one that his father bought], Holmstead Farm survives at least in name. The original buildings having been demolished and replaced by a house, Holmstead Lodge. The adjoining large house [not where the Boothmans lived] also survives.     My dad died in 2007 in his 80s, and he used to say he remembered going up to the farm from Harehills, on a bike, pulling a wagon of milk churns, in the 1930s. His Uncle would fill them with milk and then he'd go back to the dairy. It's been my life quest to find a 'Boothmans' or 'Listers' Dairy milk bottle - my grandma, Lillie Boothman, inherited the business, and it became Listers as that was her married name. As a kid in the 60s, I remember seeing inside the dairy just once, after it had closed, and there were still milk bottles with 'Listers' in red.When dad was dying and paralysed, I went to Leeds for the day and photographed the house at Bradley Terrace where he was born, and Tom's other houses on what used to be Roman Ave, near Roundhay Park, but it's renamed now (I forget the name of it).

liits

Post by liits »

TenDaysaLoiner wrote: When dad was dying and paralysed, I went to Leeds for the day and photographed the house at Bradley Terrace where he was born, and Tom's other houses on what used to be Roman Ave, near Roundhay Park, but it's renamed now (I forget the name of it). Birchwood Hill. Originally, it had been 152 Roman Avenue. Also, going back to Jesse and the other farm Church Farm at Chapel Lane [renamed Church Lane, Meanwood]. Is it the same Jesse - from the Nag's Head who went on to have Spen Lane Farm or is that Jesse, son of William and Elizabeth?    

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

liits wrote: TenDaysaLoiner wrote: When dad was dying and paralysed, I went to Leeds for the day and photographed the house at Bradley Terrace where he was born, and Tom's other houses on what used to be Roman Ave, near Roundhay Park, but it's renamed now (I forget the name of it). Birchwood Hill. Originally, it had been 152 Roman Avenue. Also, going back to Jesse and the other farm Church Farm at Chapel Lane [renamed Church Lane, Meanwood]. Is it the same Jesse - from the Nag's Head who went on to have Spen Lane Farm or is that Jesse, son of William and Elizabeth?     Not sure, liits as I don't think my family tree is great for that side of the family, so can't just go and look to double check - but will ask Jesse's grand-daughter and pass on what she says.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As the subject of horses in WW1 has been brought up in this thread (particularly through a link to elsewhere) I thought I would mention this thread in SL that may be of interest (it is not about the Nag's Head though): http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... eadID=3706
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.