Sugar Well

Places to explore
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Your pics (if poss) get em scanned & into flickr SL group.Thanks for your comments, which sort of confirm stuff I've heard.Since the rule change on paying business rates on empty prem's feet seem to get dragged more.

parlington

Post by parlington »

Here is a photograph of the inside of Sugarwell after the fire I mentioned in my earlier post. This block was a Victorian brick structure with original cast iron columns and later steel columns added as seen in the photo. It stood on the low side of the site parallel with Meanwood Beck. The vandals came across the beck and into the building then torched it! Disgraceful! Seems there are some issues with the image uploader: I'll post it on Flickr

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

test Upload is working as 'normal' (that is, rather oddly, but gets there).What happens when you try to upload, and what browser are you using?
Attachments
__TFMF_vn4s22q0p0gfioviinwc4k45_a063ab55-eb47-49df-9828-5bceb2759549_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vn4s22q0p0gfioviinwc4k45_a063ab55-eb47-49df-9828-5bceb2759549_0_main.jpg (182.8 KiB) Viewed 12806 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here you go Brian.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

parlington

Post by parlington »

chameleon wrote:test Upload is working as 'normal' (that is, rather oddly, but gets there). What happens when you try to upload, and what browser are you using?
I select the image using the browser image upload utility and it shows up in the crop region, but doesn't proceed from there! Browser is Firefox Mac (Version 17) Anyway thanks Phil for sorting it!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

parlington wrote:
chameleon wrote:test Upload is working as 'normal' (that is, rather oddly, but gets there). What happens when you try to upload, and what browser are you using?
I select the image using the browser image upload utility and it shows up in the crop region, but doesn't proceed from there! Browser is Firefox Mac (Version 17) Anyway thanks Phil for sorting it!
Firefox is one of the browsers with which the site (technically) refuses to cooperate/ accept uploads from - almost certainly the problem. An alternative is to do as you will see Phill has done and link directly to the url of your image where it is hosted, eg., flickr. Click on the 'edit' tab on Philld's post containing the picture and you will see how this is done. Try one to test for your self, it can always be deleted after idf you wished - good luck.

parlington

Post by parlington »

chameleon wrote: parlington wrote: chameleon wrote: test Upload is working as 'normal' (that is, rather oddly, but gets there).What happens when you try to upload, and what browser are you using? I select the image using the browser image upload utility and it shows up in the crop region, but doesn't proceed from there!Browser is Firefox Mac (Version 17) Anyway thanks Phil for sorting it! Firefox is one of the browsers with which the site (technically) refuses to cooperate/ accept uploads from - almost certainly the problem.An alternative is to do as you will see Phill has done and link directly to the url of your image where it is hosted, eg., flickr.Click on the 'edit' tab on Philld's post containing the picture and you will see how this is done. Try one to test for your self, it can always be deleted after idf you wished - good luck. I'll give it a go with either Safari or Chrome, next time! Never mind.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Intrigued by parlington's"..building has a tremendous supply of water coming off the escarpment.."I know it's got a higher land mass up behind at Scott Hall / Potternewton and so probs a force of water coming out somewhere.Also read (in a book, post or on here) that Miles Hill is a derivation of French for honey 'Miel' as in Honeywell or summat, would tie in with "sugar well".So possibly the Meanwood / Buslingthorpe Mills had clean, powerful "input" water then outflow into the beck.    [edit] http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

parlington

Post by parlington »

Jogon wrote: Intrigued by parlington's"..building has a tremendous supply of water coming off the escarpment.."I know it's got a higher land mass up behind at Scott Hall / Potternewton and so probs a force of water coming out somewhere.Also read (in a book, post or on here) that Miles Hill is a derivation of French for honey 'Miel' as in Honeywell or summat, would tie in with "sugar well".So possibly the Meanwood / Buslingthorpe Mills had clean, powerful "input" water then outflow into the beck.    [edit] http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL If you look on Google Maps at the corner of the range of Victorian buildings, not the modern infill on the site, the south east corner there used to be a small building just by the corner, below pavement level, where the outfall came onto the site from across Meanwood road, having been collected from the escarpment on the other side of the road to the west of Meanwood, and with a much higher elevation. The water course has obviously been culverted down to the beck.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cheers Parl - even more intrigued nowSo was the water flow was from the 'Woodhouse ridge' side? and not the 'Potternewton' / Buslingthorpe Lane?If you go on google maps then copy + paste the short URL, please.I'd assumed you had a capped well source out of the Potternewton Ridge.The Mill Stream (assume for power) was taken off just before the beck goes under Meanwood Rd - where the cricket pitch is now.This is basically the sustrans route through MVU Farm, the outfall was see pic into the mill then return to beck before Bus Ln bridge.
Attachments
__TFMF_knhvfm32kxaist45n3zz2hyo_2ae5942f-48f1-4a59-ba91-4fa49aa5a162_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_knhvfm32kxaist45n3zz2hyo_2ae5942f-48f1-4a59-ba91-4fa49aa5a162_0_main.jpg (219.93 KiB) Viewed 12812 times