Sugar Well

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

of the hill fame, there's supposedly a well or spring. Anybody know where it is, this leodis pic alludes to it and other 'spas' in the Buslingthorpe area?http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 7_79694766

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

rather appropriate given discoveries at another Leedsmet residence
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

book

Post by book »

I knew WoodHouse ridge like the back of my hand, speedwell hill and most of the area when I grew up three but I can't recall a well or spring. The top of speedwell hill is quite high and falls away quite significantly in various directions, towards WoodHouse St on one side to Meanwood road on the other side so there possibly could be an old well up there. I've only ever seen water in that area in Meanwood beck at the bottom of WoodHouse Ridge, presumably that must originate from some source within the area? Speedwell and sugerwell suggest that there were wells in the area?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

look at my Holy Wels and spas thread for details of this and other wells..The Sugarwell at meanwood is no longer there,the water having been piped for the Country farm.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thanks - I tried to find that but failed miserably.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

claireblue

Post by claireblue »

Cardiarms wrote: of the hill fame, there's supposedly a well or spring. Anybody know where it is, this leodis pic alludes to it and other 'spas' in the Buslingthorpe area?http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 7_79694766 When it snows there is always a small piece of ground about half way up Sugarwell Hill that melts first. I always thought this must be the spring. Its in the middle of the field opposite the allotments.     

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

"Sugar Well, Meanwood, Leeds     (SE 295 368 )In Meanwood, a suburb of Leeds, on Sugar Well Hill is a very clear spring which never runs dry. Guy Ragland Phillips says that the name of Miles Hill given to the same area is derived from Mil-es, Celtic for Honey Water. 50+ years ago the surrounding trees were decorated with bits of cotton and rags. "http://people.bath.ac.uk/liskmj/living- ... fs3ew1.htm    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Jogon wrote: "Sugar Well, Meanwood, Leeds     (SE 295 368 )In Meanwood, a suburb of Leeds, on Sugar Well Hill is a very clear spring which never runs dry. Guy Ragland Phillips says that the name of Miles Hill given to the same area is derived from Mil-es, Celtic for Honey Water. 50+ years ago the surrounding trees were decorated with bits of cotton and rags. "http://people.bath.ac.uk/liskmj/living- ... fs3ew1.htm     This was before it was culverted for a supply to Meanwood valley farm.No sign at present.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

parlington

Post by parlington »

Sugarwell Works, some history - It was sold in the mid eighties, at the time it had been the works for a vehicle upholstery company, they made seat covers for Ford commercial vehicles. I was responsible for buying the site for a developer colleague, we made some progress with some ideas I had, but the Leeds Planners were less than enthusiastic, and wanted to see it demolished! However it was listed around about the time we got to exchange of contracts... future meetings with the planners were very different then! All of a sudden it was, "we must do our utmost to preserve this fine old building." Amusing how officialdom can change!Anyway, without going into too much detail, which could easily fill a book, the London based developer got cold feet after a meeting with an estate agent, we sold on to M Harrison & Co, Leeds, they continued the development proposal, and then sold on again to Alpha Estates from Sheffield. They got part way through the scheme and went t*ts up, after expending around £4.5M.It was then picked up by Shepherd Construction, who developed it into the student accommodation it is today! The building has a tremendous supply of water coming off the escarpment, this was utilised in its original use as a tannery. My first idea was to have the waterfall cascading down and coming into the reception area, suitably behind glass walls! Too adventurous for people, I think the water course is now culverted down to Meanwood beck.Could have been great, the idea was to have high tech businesses, start-up units on the 2.9 acre site, but people said it was too ambitious, typical... we have lost the plot as an enterprising country. I think the final straw came when vandals set fire to part of the property down by Meanwood Beck, one whole 5/6 floor section was gutted, I've got the pictures somewhere. The beech flooring lost was a disgrace.