Sugar Well

Places to explore
Steve Jones

Re: Sugar Well

Post by Steve Jones »

Randomjames wrote:Water will always find a way out especially with springs such as this one that ran all year steve. Do you have an email address? I can send you some pictures and videos if you like.
i have sent you a private messages,thanks for the offer.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Thanks to James' hard work,it would appear that the spring has re-emerged on the hillside possibly being affected by changes to the underlying geology so nice to know that the source is still there although in a different spot.
Well done that man!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Steve Jones wrote:Thanks to James' hard work,it would appear that the spring has re-emerged on the hillside possibly being affected by changes to the underlying geology so nice to know that the source is still there although in a different spot.
Well done that man!
This sounds a bit similar to what happened at the 'spring' at the Babbling Baby (BB) in Adel Wood. Up to a few years back some water used to drain out through the baby's mouth but some also at the surrounding ground but then the groundwater started draining out a few yards away and gradually even further away. Since the recent work on the BB some water again comes out at that but much still drains out of the ground some yards away.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Randomjames

Post by Randomjames »

Apparently it is relatively common for some erosion behind the headwall and adjoining wingwalls if they are not maintained or are not capable of handling the fluctuating flow rate of the spring. I don't know much about the BBS (although I did visit it the other day) seemingly it had no where near the head of water that the sugar well had or the run off would of needed to be more substantial. I am presently trying to research historically how this well might of been set up as the point I think the eye of the spring is at is up and off to the side of the beck potentially implying a run off/settling tank down to the head of the beck and the 15 to 20ft bowl that people seem to remember, my uncle being one of them I recently discovered.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Incidentally for anyone interested in Holy Wells and Springs,this is a good source site:
https://insearchofholywellsandhealingsprings.com/

soma01

Post by soma01 »

Hi
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread?
I was looking for old info regarding this spring as to how deep the spring comes from the ground.
It is still there, I've been there.
The post regarding it being opposite allotments and where snow melts first was a good observation.
This location sounds about right.
Hope this helps.