Kirkstall Abbey Tunnel - Myth or Maybe...?

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I think what you found Jon is something that had a similar function to what I photographed here not a million miles away at Kirkstall forgehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/4832038740/Which reminds to check this little brick wall out one dayhttp://g.co/maps/rgyxgLooking at the old maps, it should be the old bridge that carried the forge goit under Abbey Road.         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hmm, I've hit something of a snag here, I partially excavated the door when I went on a recce this afternoon as weather permitting we are going to check out the tunnel tomorrow. scrabbled away some earth around the front of the door but there is virtually no give in the door at all and I am worried if I try and prise the door too hard I might snap the hinges which are corroded and brittle. I dont want to destroy the thing. I am considering strapping my camera onto a remote control 4x4 truck I have and using that to guide the camera to the where the tunnel turns the sharp right turn about 3 yards inside. Rather than risking damaging the door just to find out it actually is a dead end inside. However if there is a longer section of tunnel within I am condifering what would be the best way to proceed? I could try the old heating up the seized hinges with a blowtorch, spraying WD40, lubricating with a grease gun etc etc. I will have to see how it goes...
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jonleeds wrote: Hmm, I've hit something of a snag here, I partially excavated the door when I went on a recce this afternoon as weather permitting we are going to check out the tunnel tomorrow. scrabbled away some earth around the front of the door but there is virtually no give in the door at all and I am worried if I try and prise the door too hard I might snap the hinges which are corroded and brittle. I dont want to destroy the thing. I am considering strapping my camera onto a remote control 4x4 truck I have and using that to guide the camera to the where the tunnel turns the sharp right turn about 3 yards inside. Rather than risking damaging the door just to find out it actually is a dead end inside. However if there is a longer section of tunnel within I am condifering what would be the best way to proceed? I could try the old heating up the seized hinges with a blowtorch, spraying WD40, lubricating with a grease gun etc etc. I will have to see how it goes... Best tie a miniture ow rope to the vehicle perchance it runs into something unexpected - or it could be the end of the camera. (Just imagine in years to come if someone then rediscovered the place and made historical finds from the ancient MonksOn the other hand WD40 does solve a multitude of problems    

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Good thinking that Steve, yes it would be like someone finding a mobile phone when opening some Anglo-Saxon burial mound. Definetely would cause confusion. On the subject of buried gold, does anyone know where this so-called Leeds Hoard was discovered or is it a secret? I only heard about it the other day.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

carith

Post by carith »

Its a secret.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

carith wrote: Its a secret. Not many messages from Carith on this site,but well worth the wait when they appear.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

jonleeds wrote: Back in the Spring of 2006 I was exploring in Hawksworth Woods. I literally stumbled across a strange sight buried in deep spring undergrowth. I had unknowingly uncovered the long lost entrance to the original Kirkstall Abbey Tunnel... Jon (or any map genius) can you pinpoint the location??I'd love to have a look at it from the outside and relate it to what's around?Down at the Bridge pub across the road going up butcher hill you quickly find an entrance to the woods where the stream runs down to the forge. Is It down there??

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Er, yeah something like that..No actually you are better approaching from the Kirkstall Road / New Road Side end of the woods and you take the lower of the paths heading through the woods. Walk about 60 yards into the woods and you will come across a tree that has the words 'Tunnel' and an arrow carved into its bark pointing towards the tunnels entrance. Please note the path which the tunnel entrance lies off of is no longer maintained by the council and it will probably be a bit overgrown. You will cross a crumbling wooden bridge section just before you find the tunnel entrance. Please dont damage the iron door for the sake of getting it open a little wider. I'm not suggesting you would, but for the benefit of anyone else who might read this.

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

jonleeds wrote: Good thinking that Steve, yes it would be like someone finding a mobile phone when opening some Anglo-Saxon burial mound. Definetely would cause confusion. Thankfully not like in the (Michael Crichton book 'Timeline') where they find the Professors glasses & a 'Help me' note????

Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

Jon, Great ThreadOne point that may assist you, have you tried to follow the course of the tunnel from the surface above, it looks like formed concrete blocks for the ceiling, if you go above the tunnel and dig small holes you may be able to follow the course of the tunnel or determine if it comes to a stop.The use of a steel re inforcement bar may help you get through the soil quickly to probe for the concrete or stone ceiling.Let us know how you get onBluemax