Request for help from a newbie RE: Tunnels under Leeds

Places to explore
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: liits wrote: CathJ wrote: Hi again I was also wondering what was originally on Boar Lane and Duncan Street before the buildings that are there now, I came across a picture of Central Market on Leodis but can't quite place it exactly as the image shows Trinity Church being a lot further to the left hand side of the image than it looks today, also the spire/tower looks to be the wrong shape. I am only going on Leodis saying that it is Trinity Church in the back ground but maybe it is documented wrong and there was a church in the direction of where the Corn Exchange is now. This is the image, the church is just visible next to the crease at the left of the page, http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 043Another interesting place to pop up was Mercury Office Yard, was this yard removed when Duncan Street was widened in 1904? Cath Mercury Office Yard is marked in red.As to the image from Leodis. This is an engraving so if the church spire is different and it looks to be in the wrong place, it may be down to artistic license.The Central Markets is the large building that occupies the block between Central Road and Vicar Lane. Liits, do you mean New Market Street for where the Central Market was between? I'm a bit confused as to where it was.Cheers     You can just make out the name Central Markets on Liits picture, a little to the east and north of the red outline. This lower bit of 'Vicar Lane'is not infrequently referred to as such but is really New Market Street, though I don't think a name shows on the picture.    

CathJ

Post by CathJ »

Bit of a while since last posting but I thought I would give a quick update as I promised I wouldn't just disappear.Well after numerous phone calls and hitting the health and safety brick wall far too many times I have had to abandon my original idea for this documentary and widen the scope to make it about urban exploration itself. I would like to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice and it is a shame I couldn't get it off the ground in time for my deadline but I guess thats life. Of course if there are any urbexers out there who fancy appearing in a documentary feel free to get in touch. Cath

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Sadly it looks therefore like the Dark Arches are going to be the nearest I get to going 'underground' in Leeds. I've long fancied doing the tunnel walk from Kirkstall Abbey to the centre of Leeds (particularly in wet weather to avoid the rain as the monks would have done!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

CathJ wrote: Bit of a while since last posting but I thought I would give a quick update as I promised I wouldn't just disappear.Well after numerous phone calls and hitting the health and safety brick wall far too many times I have had to abandon my original idea for this documentary and widen the scope to make it about urban exploration itself. I would like to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice and it is a shame I couldn't get it off the ground in time for my deadline but I guess thats life. Of course if there are any urbexers out there who fancy appearing in a documentary feel free to get in touch. Cath I think your always far better leaving out the health & safety man and doing it your own way, life is so much easier and far more productive.Sorry to hear things didn't go too good for you, but it's a tale I hear all too often     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

CathJ

Post by CathJ »

I know Phil H&S does my head in, but I have to abide by the law and ask permission to enter places.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: Sadly it looks therefore like the Dark Arches are going to be the nearest I get to going 'underground' in Leeds. I've long fancied doing the tunnel walk from Kirkstall Abbey to the centre of Leeds (particularly in wet weather to avoid the rain as the monks would have done!). Don;t forget it gets a bit wet crossing under the river on the way through the branch to Temple Newsam Leodian - take tha wellies

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: Leodian wrote: Sadly it looks therefore like the Dark Arches are going to be the nearest I get to going 'underground' in Leeds. I've long fancied doing the tunnel walk from Kirkstall Abbey to the centre of Leeds (particularly in wet weather to avoid the rain as the monks would have done!). Don;t forget it gets a bit wet crossing under the river on the way through the branch to Temple Newsam Leodian - take tha wellies That made me . Mind you, I expect the coal mine tunnels at Waterloo Main pit will make the walking a bit easier (I wonder if they are still there or wholly collapsed by now?).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

That made me . Mind you, I expect the coal mine tunnels at Waterloo Main pit will make the walking a bit easier (I wonder if they are still there or wholly collapsed by now?). The support structures etc will prob still be in situ although not maintained of course...and the other nearby collieries too.....Debatable whether these would eventually fail but may well do so over time.......you may see surface landslip on a minor scale....the type that creates wetland,or local slippage....again debatable.Any really old "bell pit" workings would have course collapsed leaving very local hole sinks as in Middleton woods.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

CathJ wrote: Hi again Trinity Church spire/tower looks to be the wrong shape. Cath If you look at Holy Trinity now it isn't as originally built:-the tower has two squares, the upper having a clock on it's Boar Ln side. Above that there used to be a normal wooden spire (like on St Georges), but "When the spire blew down in 1839, it was replaced by a taller stone steeple of three diminishing stages (architect: Robert Dennis Chantrell)".And this gives it's current look.The picture of Central Market looks down Duncan St towards Boar Ln and the Church (see att'd old map).
Attachments
__TFMF_xcvhlb453v1pon45qq3j2u55_4c3729cf-8912-451f-bd52-c6861733a125_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_xcvhlb453v1pon45qq3j2u55_4c3729cf-8912-451f-bd52-c6861733a125_0_main.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 3024 times

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

"Of course if there are any urbexers out there who fancy appearing in a documentary feel free to get in touch."Hi, i'd like to get involved if not too late?