The disused subways of Leeds

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Inside SUBCULTURE itself.. I believe Sarah has some exciting plans coming up in the near future.. This is just one of the many subteranean places the Merrion center has that are long overdue a photo shoot. I wish Town center securities wouldn't be so camera shy ;-) Once again thanks Sarah...!!
Attachments
__TFMF_fjirsj45etcvdrrc3cpkwv55_2c3a9cbb-c761-43d7-a5cf-93f9413d80f4_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_fjirsj45etcvdrrc3cpkwv55_2c3a9cbb-c761-43d7-a5cf-93f9413d80f4_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

This subway, Wade Lane, is it the one that runs under the road and emerges outside the, now, lebanese restuarant? I think it was closed down in the late 70's / earley 80's.I doubt very much you'll be able to get to them, but there are others very similar. outside McDonnalds on the corner of Briggate / Boar lane. They crossed the intersection and they too had toilets. Would love to see if there still intact..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simonm wrote: This subway, Wade Lane, is it the one that runs under the road and emerges outside the, now, lebanese restuarant? I think it was closed down in the late 70's / earley 80's.I doubt very much you'll be able to get to them, but there are others very similar. outside McDonnalds on the corner of Briggate / Boar lane. They crossed the intersection and they too had toilets. Would love to see if there still intact.. Hi Simomn.. Yes thats the subway... It's pictured above isn't it????
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: simonm wrote: This subway, Wade Lane, is it the one that runs under the road and emerges outside the, now, lebanese restuarant? I think it was closed down in the late 70's / earley 80's.I doubt very much you'll be able to get to them, but there are others very similar. outside McDonnalds on the corner of Briggate / Boar lane. They crossed the intersection and they too had toilets. Would love to see if there still intact.. Hi Simomn.. Yes thats the subway... It's pictured above isn't it???? Yes it is, sorry!!! Queue the very embarrased emoticon several times!!! :-)
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No worrys Simonm!! ! I' ve done a lot worse than that myself.. ;-)

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill, as to my other question, would there be anyway into the old subways under Briggate? I would imagine not, but surely the planners have ways of keeping them safe, considering the roads above! Similar ones in City Sq as well.

munki

Post by munki »

This is what is left of the subway that used to run below City Station, replaced fairly recently by the new footbridge. I have walked through this subway hundreds of times, & it is very eery to see it from this new standpoint!For more pictures taken under City Station, look out for the next 'Highly Irregular Feature', coming very soon.
Attachments
__TFMF_3x1vkueljjdajsupfqgpfjep_31f75263-f1f2-4df4-a1b9-7bf7acd92aaf_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_3x1vkueljjdajsupfqgpfjep_31f75263-f1f2-4df4-a1b9-7bf7acd92aaf_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Bloody hell Munki, it does look different now! Real spooky.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

I don't recognise it fromt he picture. It didn't have an arched ceiling. Is thi spicture not of the underside of the structure from under the dark arches?I imagine it is totally sealed off now as there is no visible entrace from the platforms anymore.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Reginal Perrin wrote: I don't recognise it fromt he picture. It didn't have an arched ceiling. Is thi spicture not of the underside of the structure from under the dark arches?I imagine it is totally sealed off now as there is no visible entrace from the platforms anymore. You're right Reggie, it is from underneath, I asked this question very early on in this site's existence. Apparently it's full of eletrical stuff, as filling it in would make it too heavy to stay where it is now. When I was in the station last, I looked at the floor and there are a couple of square panels that looked to be in the vicinity of where the old stairway was.Wonder if Munki could use his connections and get us a look down there!!!