Underground Bar Censa (Boar Lane)

Places to explore
Andy-iPatch

Post by Andy-iPatch »

Hey guys,I used to work in this bar before it closed down and just wanted to let you know it had a cellar with a hidden door in it. One day after the building was sealed up, myself and a colleague went for a little last look and opened the door. What we found was a colossal cellar system that went deep underground and all the way to the station, Queens hotel and city square area. I didn't have a camera on me at the time (although I wish i did!) but there were some fascinating signs including an underground access to old lift shafts, still with the original early 1900's workings, old outdoor (now covered) alleyways and bar furniture from what looks like a bugsy mallone set!IF I can get permission, is anyone up for a little explore? We almost got lost down there and it took us hours to get back again!Andy

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

was that the Griffin Hotel?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

You could count me in Andy
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Cardiarms wrote: was that the Griffin Hotel? It was indeed.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Sounds promising.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Sounds promising. Readymade subway from the station under Boar Lane....? Give or take the odd sewer and water main

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

This has all gone quiet? What's occurring?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The thread topic reminded me of one quite some while back now where someone posted about being in hidden cellars and extensive passages at that side of Boar Lane that were said to have been only partly entered. I've tried to find the thread but gave up after going through some of the very many pages that a search brought up that would have the thread. It all sounds highly interesting and exciting! I'm beginning to think (well OK, hope) that all of the centre of Leeds is built over vast underground complexes! I wonder what might be under Mill Hill Chapel! Edit added around 17:38 on October 3 2011. I have now found that the post I was searching for was that by 'greenhow302' on 28 July 2011 in the 'Tunnels Under City Station' thread. Thanks to chameleon for enabling me to find it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

All sounds a bit scary. Maybe Spielberg might use it in the next Indiana Jones film. Wouldn't that be something?

jim

Post by jim »

Leodian wonders what may be under Mill Hill Chapel...................A passage from Kirkstall Abbey of course!