Abandoned subways to the merrion centre

Places to explore
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Quote me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of these subways under Merrion Centre have shops?
Simon -H-

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

simon2710 wrote: Quote me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of these subways under Merrion Centre have shops? Don't think so, as such Simon, though at 'basement level' on Wade Lane, David Lato photogaraphy could be found foing towards Fairfax House - anyone remember anything else?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: simon2710 wrote: Quote me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of these subways under Merrion Centre have shops? Don't think so, as such Simon, though at 'basement level' on Wade Lane, David Lato photogaraphy could be found foing towards Fairfax House - anyone remember anything else? Youre right Steve,plus the Lebanese restaurant as well
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Loiner Paul

Post by Loiner Paul »

simon2710 wrote: Quote me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of these subways under Merrion Centre have shops? Some of the subways in the centre of Bradford had shops in them, I remember the ones near Forster Square had a newsagent and shop repairers.

Lightman

Post by Lightman »

I've just seen this thread on the Merrion Centre subways, I well remember spending lunch time in the Pig and Whistle whilst doing an HNC at the poly. The subway that is shown in the photos at the top of the page is now used by the council to store all the stage from Millenium square, I've spent many a late night/early morning moving equipment back down there after an event.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Lightman wrote: I've just seen this thread on the Merrion Centre subways, I well remember spending lunch time in the Pig and Whistle whilst doing an HNC at the poly. The subway that is shown in the photos at the top of the page is now used by the council to store all the stage from Millenium square, I've spent many a late night/early morning moving equipment back down there after an event. Any chance we can get some phots down there Lightman?I've pictures of the other mirrion subway here, it will finish my set off nicely http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 548348135/
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

The original Merrion subway did have a newsagents and a shoe repair shop. They were removed because of violence towards the shop keepers I seem to remember. The ones you pictured also had toilets in them and a very expensive piece of art forming a roof. The exit by the Pig and Whistle was supposed to be a sculpture area! There are the remnants of the escalators too. This was all part of the attempt to make Leeds a pedestrianized centre. Failed! The toilets were the haunt of some unsavoury people and were closed down. Then when the shops closed there was no reason to walk under the road and it became a drugs den on a night time. There was also a subway under Briggate where McDonalds is now sited.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Loiner1960 wrote: The original Merrion subway did have a newsagents and a shoe repair shop. They were removed because of violence towards the shop keepers I seem to remember. The ones you pictured also had toilets in them and a very expensive piece of art forming a roof. The exit by the Pig and Whistle was supposed to be a sculpture area! There are the remnants of the escalators too. This was all part of the attempt to make Leeds a pedestrianized centre. Failed! The toilets were the haunt of some unsavoury people and were closed down. Then when the shops closed there was no reason to walk under the road and it became a drugs den on a night time. There was also a subway under Briggate where McDonalds is now sited. I'm not certain but I think I've read that the Merrion subway toilets may still be there but not accessible. The short subway just in Briggate near the Boar Lane/Duncan Street junction also had toilets that I recall. When there was some work going on at the site a few months back I mentioned the toilets to a workman and he claimed they were seen during the work.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Have a look at this thread toohttp://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Messages.as ... ight=1This piccy is from there (coutessy PhillD) Caption says door to gents' is on the right.
Attachments
__TFMF_tkmnfunxhs2bvf55kdr2wn45_6f488ef0-ba0f-422f-8231-aa189683c980_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tkmnfunxhs2bvf55kdr2wn45_6f488ef0-ba0f-422f-8231-aa189683c980_0_main.jpg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 3189 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Yes that's the Gents loo on the right.I remember well shifty characters lined up against the wall on the left looking out for obliging 'nice boys' to go in there in the early 80's.It was notorious for it, no doubt why it got closed.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!