Anyone have a canoe...?

Places to explore
jf

Post by jf »

I spotted this culvert next to Leeds Bridge, anybody have any ideas where it might go? Is this one of the Kings Mill races?
Attachments
__TFMF_vh5dlu4534hopl450kbnr0i4_44947977-6899-4d15-aabc-1f0e28a45e22_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_vh5dlu4534hopl450kbnr0i4_44947977-6899-4d15-aabc-1f0e28a45e22_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

rikj

Post by rikj »

Hi jf, I'd say it may well have come from the Kings Mill goit. On a map of 1847 there is a cornmill marked just to the east of your pic.The goit for the Kings Kill came under a bridge carrying what is now Neville Street, I think probably just behind what was the Observatory. The goit split with one stream going more southwards to the river, and the other stream going more to the east and the Kings Mill.After leaving the Kings Mill it ran behind the southern side of Swinegate until Leeds Bridge. These goits were uncovered, but at this point they must have been covered. There are a couple more outlets to the east of the one in the pic but they have become heavily silted up indicating that there is no flow of water down them.There was a goit that ran down the back of The Calls, through the area known as Warehouse Hill. I suspect this was a continuation of the Kings Mill goit. You can still see where that one came out if you look from the dock on the opposite bank. Some pics on Leodis show that goit being used for the laying of sewer pipes (logical when you think about it) so maybe that's what happened to other goits.The area of the Kings Mill goits has been very heavily developed over the years, many streets have gone altogether. They have been replaced by the railway, carparks and a whole host of new buildings.I like to think that somewhere beneath the streets there, in the area once known as the Isle of Cinder, still lie, The Stinking Goits of Swinegate