Underground Crypt & Sewer

Places to explore
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

weenie wrote: My house is a newer house (well built 1990's) and we are on the underground reservoir. and right outside my front door is a manhole cover, and on the old godfrey maps shows a shaft right in the same place, apparently the people before me had to have it recovered as it fell in, and you could see all the big pipes...... im dying to go down there one day.! Might just be Greenhills then. Very unlikely that anything would be or would be permitted to be built on top - would surely have been decommissioned and back filled - just imagine otherwise if major works were to be needed - 'sorry Mr Weenie, we need to dig up your house....!'Maybe Cardi could comment here?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

All infrastructure should be cleared out by the developers and backfilled as you say. A house built on a service res or over voids isn't the best thing to do. If there is a manhole be very wary of entering as noxious gases can build up in unventilated spaces. Not sure what the shaft would be. Probably predates the waterworks?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I'm curious to know where this surveyor thinks these sewers are. The biggest sewers in leeds don't get much above 6ft heading toward knostrop, though they are likely to be newer ones. Two transits wide suggests a very large flow, which would only be needed on the approach to the works.

weenie

Post by weenie »

chameleon wrote: weenie wrote: My house is a newer house (well built 1990's) and we are on the underground reservoir. and right outside my front door is a manhole cover, and on the old godfrey maps shows a shaft right in the same place, apparently the people before me had to have it recovered as it fell in, and you could see all the big pipes...... im dying to go down there one day.! Might just be Greenhills then. Very unlikely that anything would be or would be permitted to be built on top - would surely have been decommissioned and back filled - just imagine otherwise if major works were to be needed - 'sorry Mr Weenie, we need to dig up your house....!'Maybe Cardi could comment here? Correct, there is 2 manholes in our garage, one at the side of the house, one outside my front door and another in next door grassed area at front, i thought quite alot for a small cul de sac.

sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

??!! I'm sorry? - your house is built on top of an old crypt? Where in the heck do you live?... Questa Verde?"You moved the cemetery but you left the bodies din'tya... You sonofabich. You left the bodies, Why WHY?".. Carol-ann! Carol-ann!