Gildersome Tunnel

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

SarahOvMorley wrote: Hey i know how to get to this tunnel.If you follow Asquith Avenue up towards gildersome from Morley bottoms, When you get near the top over the motoway bridge there are woods on either side of the road. If you enter the woods on the right side, and walk next to and follow the stream you will come accross this tunnel. This is blocked off and i will post a picture within the next few days. I live round and very close to this area so any questions just ask Thanks Hi Sarah. Check this out for THE VORTEX and THE HELL HOLE pictures of the tunnel you never knew existed.http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 127There's even a video from down there.            
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

SarahOvMorley wrote: Hey i know how to get to this tunnel.If you follow Asquith Avenue up towards gildersome from Morley bottoms, When you get near the top over the motoway bridge there are woods on either side of the road. If you enter the woods on the right side, and walk next to and follow the stream you will come accross this tunnel. This is blocked off and i will post a picture within the next few days. I live round and very close to this area so any questions just ask Thanks You can get to the other end of the tunnel by following Rooms Lane. I don't remember this line being operational.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Trojan wrote: SarahOvMorley wrote: Hey i know how to get to this tunnel.If you follow Asquith Avenue up towards gildersome from Morley bottoms, When you get near the top over the motoway bridge there are woods on either side of the road. If you enter the woods on the right side, and walk next to and follow the stream you will come accross this tunnel. This is blocked off and i will post a picture within the next few days. I live round and very close to this area so any questions just ask Thanks You can get to the other end of the tunnel by following Rooms Lane. I don't remember this line being operational. You might need a machete to clear the undergrowth that way these days. It's very very overgrown. You might expect to see David Bellamy jump out of the bushes
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

HiI found the pictures which are posted above when looking through the Morley Community Archive website, see this link for more details:http://www.commanet.org/reflect.aspx?ac ... ex.ikmlThe pictures are shown with a brief description of what the photo is of. Its quite interesting to see the tunnel being exposed prior to the M621 / M62 construction work.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

SarahOvMorley

Post by SarahOvMorley »

Oh wow! Thanks for all this!omg!! When u reached the end of the tunnelit was graffitied ..M.TIGHE then malcWell that is my uncle malci am sarah tighe omg that is weird.thanksHi Sarah. Check this out for THE VORTEX and THE HELL HOLE pictures of the tunnel you never knew existed.http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 127There's even a video from down there.
Sarah :)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Sarah, are you by any chance related to Frank Tighe, Lord Mayor of Morley?    

nikeluk

Post by nikeluk »

While browsing for images of Gildersome junction I stumbled upon this thread. I was looking for old images of both Gildersome station and the junction between the A650 and A62. I work for the contractor carrying out junction improvement works at the M62 J27 Gildersome roundabouts and as part of the scheme the situation of the existing redundant tunnel is to be investigated. The works are currently on hold pending a solution to treat the tunnel such that the new roads are safe from future collapse. I can confirm that the tunnel is still there and runs east west across the northern part of the roundabout. Work was carried out on the structure during the construction of the M62 to enable the west section of the roundabout to be built. This part of the roundabout is lower than the tunnel roof so the tunnel was demolished from the western portal to a point that now lies ~10m from the western edge of the roundabout. The tunnel has stone abutment walls and a composite structure of steel "I" beams (approx 600mm c/c) with a reinforced concrete slab on top to form the flat roof. During the investigation works a section of the roof was removed to reveal that the tunnel has been filled in with excavated material which must have been pushed in from each end. The fill material has settled over the years to leave a void of approx 300mm below the tunnel roof. Our investigations are still ongoing but the extent of the intact structure appears to extend across the roundabout and under the A62 carriageway towards the location of the eastern portal. The wing wall of the eastern portal can still be seen in the car park of the industrial units to the north east of the roundabout and exploritory holes will be dug to ascertain the existance of the tunnel in this location. It is likely that the remaining void will be grouted up and the tunnel will remain buried beneath the new carriageway. Works are scheduled to be complete by November '08

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Loiner wrote: Hello all. Been reading for a while and decided to post at last!Anyway, have caught the bug and done some exploring lately. Last week went for a walk up Rooms Lane to try and look for where the old Gildersome station was. About 100 yards up from Gelderd Road crossed over what seemed to be a bridge where I presume the railway previously ran under (although underneath seemed somewhat filled). Sort of lost where the railway should go from there and it looked pretty impossible to get down onto where I though the track should be and up to the eastern entrance to the tunnel.Also, had a trek up to the other end of the tunnel (I think). Parked in the Showcase car park and climbed over the fence and down the embankment at the back. Saw what looked like some sort of markers which I presume were where the track bed was. Couldn't for the life of me find the tunnel entrance though. Did come across some sort of water works but no sign of the tunnel and didn't want to venture too far towards the motorway as the night was closing in!Any advice on where to find the tunnel entrances etc much appreciated. Cheers all.... not even gonna read anymore of this thread,,,,see philld!!!!!....plus get a sledge hammer....bricks go eeaaasy....breeze blocks is harder...
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

nikeluk

Post by nikeluk »

Some pics I have found....Latest news is the roof may be coming off......... sorry.
Attachments
__TFMF_cloxoui3pjdvfxbi4ajxqzud_14fb915a-03f2-421c-bfdf-4eecc317d75e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_cloxoui3pjdvfxbi4ajxqzud_14fb915a-03f2-421c-bfdf-4eecc317d75e_0_main.jpg (281.59 KiB) Viewed 3429 times