Gildersome Tunnel

Places to explore
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

If you look at the bottom of the shaft Edgey you can see it has been 'capped' at the bottom too. What do you make of that? You can look up it, there is no daylight coming from up there. It isn't very deep at this point either. That would be why it was been in-filled and strengthened to carry the new road layout as the reports suggest.        
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

I wonder why they have put a gazebo ontop of it, if it had been fully capped it would have been covered over with soil, I'm sure theres a grate here which must mean its accessable, as to why that is, thats anyones guess. I may go pay a visit this week and have a look.

SarahOvMorley

Post by SarahOvMorley »

yeah i am related to frank tighe he is my grandad x
Sarah :)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

SarahOvMorley wrote: yeah i am related to frank tighe he is my grandad x Thats cool. I went to university with Frank, he was in the History & Politics course I did a few years ago. I really enjoyed listening to his tales great guy. He probably wont remember who I am but please say hello !!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

SarahOvMorley wrote: yeah i am related to frank tighe he is my grandad x Is that the same Frank Tighe who was on Morley council in the sixties?
Industria Omnia Vincit

SarahOvMorley

Post by SarahOvMorley »

Yeah i will say hello! and yes i think so Trojan.

SarahOvMorley

Post by SarahOvMorley »

Trojan Posted on: 16-Dec-2008 22:16:28 SarahOvMorley wrote: yeah i am related to frank tighe he is my grandad x Is that the same Frank Tighe who was on Morley council in the sixties? Yeah i will say hello! and yes i think so Trojan.

w41tzer

Post by w41tzer »

dont know if any of you are aware of this but on the site, forgotten relics of an enterprising age, there is quite a bit on gildersome tunnel, that myspace stuff on link was outstanding, bare with me if that was you on the site i mentioned above, also if you go into the car park of metals supermarket ( yes honest!) right next to leeds side of gildersome roundabout you will see the stone wall of the station and iron roof? support remains, they shut sat dinner, the firm till mon, this is the end of the cut and cover "tunnel" also pictured on this thread but not to be confused with the other major tunnel,

jim

Post by jim »

Came across a report of a very recent visit to this tunnel on a website entitled "28dayslater". Look in the "Underground Sites" forum, "Gildersome Tunnel Leeds" thread. Short description and interesting photos. Perhaps someone with skills I don't have might post a direct link?    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jim wrote: Came across a report of a very recent visit to this tunnel on a website entitled "28dayslater". Look in the "Underground Sites" forum, "Gildersome Tunnel Leeds" thread. Short description and interesting photos. Perhaps someone with skills I don't have might post a direct link?     Hi jim.This seems to be the link you want:- http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/und ... 014-a.html    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.