Gildersome Tunnel

Places to explore
Loiner

Post by Loiner »

Hello all. Been reading for a while and decided to post at last!Anyway, have caught the bug and done some exploring lately. Last week went for a walk up Rooms Lane to try and look for where the old Gildersome station was. About 100 yards up from Gelderd Road crossed over what seemed to be a bridge where I presume the railway previously ran under (although underneath seemed somewhat filled). Sort of lost where the railway should go from there and it looked pretty impossible to get down onto where I though the track should be and up to the eastern entrance to the tunnel.Also, had a trek up to the other end of the tunnel (I think). Parked in the Showcase car park and climbed over the fence and down the embankment at the back. Saw what looked like some sort of markers which I presume were where the track bed was. Couldn't for the life of me find the tunnel entrance though. Did come across some sort of water works but no sign of the tunnel and didn't want to venture too far towards the motorway as the night was closing in!Any advice on where to find the tunnel entrances etc much appreciated. Cheers all....

rikj

Post by rikj »

Hi LoinerAs far as we know the western portal is destroyed and in-filled. The tunnel is certainly filled in where it goes under the motorway.The eastern portal is the way you were heading, might be a bit difficult at this time of year. I got to it from the Asquith Avenue side. I have to add that I think the tunnel is on private land. I know that someone has asked the farmer for permission to visit and it has not been forthcoming. The tunnel entrance is quite deeply flooded and looks like it might be like that all year round.If you like disused railway tunnels then there are some more pics here
Attachments
__TFMF_nyywhpy3oozjprffc3ur5nmr_0801d781-81d7-42cb-9f0e-ceab86e92c42_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_nyywhpy3oozjprffc3ur5nmr_0801d781-81d7-42cb-9f0e-ceab86e92c42_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 7496 times

Basher

Post by Basher »

I have doubts about the privacy of the land. I been there several times, most as recenlty as this week. On the visit this week I walked straight past 2 dog walkers.And there appears to have been some human activity around the portal, guessing from the additional junk i noticed in the water.The land around the portal is far too easy to access for it to be private.Basher's got this one cracked!! I'm off down that tunnel.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Has that water subsided any yet Bash?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Basher

Post by Basher »

Unfortunately not Phil, think it was slightly deeper than my last visit earlier in the year. Either that or the flooding has stabilised a bit. I'm checking it out again in the near future, going to test how deep that water is.

Loiner

Post by Loiner »

Bit bored at work today so was having a scout around for information about this tunnel (I think I'm becoming obsessed :-)!!).Anyway, found quite an interesting looking picture of the tunnel from road level. Apparently this is at Gildersome crossroads (although I can't work out exactly where it might be) when they were preparing to build the M621. Am guessing Gildersome crossroads could be near to where the big roundabout of the A650 is now.
Attachments
__TFMF_3fg3ohayrtfnajmse1wf2c55_3b9b3bb2-5c33-440a-815f-63162ca99cfa_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_3fg3ohayrtfnajmse1wf2c55_3b9b3bb2-5c33-440a-815f-63162ca99cfa_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (43.59 KiB) Viewed 7496 times

rikj

Post by rikj »

Wow, cheers for posting that Loiner. This pic from Leodis shows the same crossroads from the air.I think in the pic you've posted the Gildersome tunnel is a bit behind the photographer and about 90ft down! It looks as if what's pictured is a cutting leading up to a short tunnel going underneath the A62/A650 junction. This railway is the LNWR that ran between Morley and Gildersome. In fact it ran overland above the Gildersome tunnel. The direction we are looking in here in approx NW.(Picture from Leodis)The pic you posted is interesting as nearly all the old trackbed in that area has disappeared because of the size and scale of the motorway junction. I never knew that it went under the roads at this point. I wonder if it's still there under the roundabout! Must go and have a look.Thanks for posting the pic up.

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

The picture at Gildersome is about where the start of the Driglington by-pass is now. This is the western portal and was filled in when they were building the M62, it was only a short tunnel as can be seen in aerial photo, at the other side was where Gildersome Station was, the retaining wall is still there to this day, as is the exit ramp which went down to the station, you can see this on the left hand side as your drive towards Gildersome roundabout from Gelderd Road.

jf

Post by jf »

This is a 'modern' view from more or less the same elevation on Google Earth - it's surprising how many buildings are unchanged.It almost looks like the portal is still there from the shadow on Google Earth - has it definitely gone?

jf

Post by jf »

sorry, the attachment timed out! Here it is:
Attachments
__TFMF_ivq3kn55jifhfc45lobcoj45_9edb0832-73cd-4ec2-a027-dc04f9d8d2b3_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_ivq3kn55jifhfc45lobcoj45_9edb0832-73cd-4ec2-a027-dc04f9d8d2b3_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 7496 times