Nuclear Bunker in Leeds Coal Mine ?!?

Places to explore
Mike-oh

Post by Mike-oh »

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster etc...I saw this topic and it created a spark. A probably massively outlandish far fetched spark, but a spark none-the-less.As part of my job, I do a lot of walkover surveys of sites. Sometimes interesting old mills (if H&S dictates I'll get a good look inside) sometimes some crappy industrial estates.Anyhow, on one recent walkover I came across this mast and associated building in Morley. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.7351 ... =h&z=20Now what struck me about this was the massive airconditioning/ventilation units on the outside of the building (visible if you spin the above arial photo around) and that there was a lot of CCTV around the place. Granted there is likely to be some electrical plant in there but that amount of ventilation got me suspicious at the time. Especially when you compare it to the mast nearer to Real Radio just to the east which only has a small building next door.And then I read this thread. This site is not a million miles from Middleton and Robin Hood and the alleged nuclear bunker. Maybe, just maybe, there's some connection here. I know there was a lot of coal mining (and an old gas works) in this area. Maybe one of the old shafts was retained for some reason.....But 99.99% more than likley I'm way off the mark.Your colllective thoughts and hysterical laughs are more than welcome....    

Mike-oh

Post by Mike-oh »

BarFly wrote: I don't know if this is related (probably not) but when looking around on the Internet a few years ago I saw reference on an underground Leeds BBC article to a large bunker complex at Morley near the Leeds to London railway line. I've not found any mention anywhere else though so I don't know where the information came from. Has anyone else heard of this? The comment is about 3/4s of the way down this page. http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/arti ... ture.shtml

liits

Post by liits »

Not so very secret or sinister and all to be found on OFCOM’s website.This particular mast is used by two operators, one of them having two transmitters on the mast.First one.......Operator – 3Operator Site Ref. – WF0171Station Type – MacrocellAntenna Height 24mFrequency Range – 2100MHzTransmitter Power – 25.85dBWMaximum Licensed Power – 35dBWType of Transmission – UMTS [mobile phone signal]Second one......Operator – T-MOBILEOperator Site Ref. – 93816Station Type – MacrocellAntenna on Height 33mFrequency Range – 1800MHzTransmitter Power – 25.0 dBWMaximum Licensed Power – 32dBWType of Transmission – GSMThird one.....Operator – T-MOBILEOperator Site Ref. – 93816Station Type – MacrocellAntenna on Height 33mFrequency Range – 1800MHzTransmitter Power – 25.0 dBWMaximum Licensed Power – 32dBWType of Transmission – UMTSThe very large tower, seemingly painted white is home to an Airwave transmitter, the type of comms used by the police [a digital system that can act like either a phone or walkie-talkie].It’s the norm for base stations to be well CCTVed up.

Mike-oh

Post by Mike-oh »

Thanks for the info. I wasn't for one second suggesting the mast wasn't legit. It's just the building next door with all the air-conditioning/ventilation. Must be a heck of a lot of equipment in there to be generating all that heat. Compare to the telecoms mast at Cookridge (much bigger/busier) which doesn't seem to have half as much ventilation equipment.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=cookrid ... ngdom&z=20

liits

Post by liits »

True enough, but bear in mind that the Cookridge tower as part of the “Backbone” system and was designed only to.....“......carry six broad-band channels in each direction; one or two of the broad-band channels would be for use as a standby. Following hard on the heels of the above “backbone” system will be the development of radio-relay systems for up to 2,000 telephone channels, or about 1,000 telephone channels together with one television channel.”Imagine how much ”traffic” these base stations carry now and all- or almost all – crammed into a building not much bigger than your average garage. No wonder they need the amount of cooling that they do!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Wasn't the Hunters.Stones transmitter one of the backbone masts? I was told that this was set up for when the cold war went hot and usual telecoms services were destroyed by nuclear attacks. The backbone system would have still allowed command and control systems to communicate. I've noticed over the past 2 decades the Norwood site seems to have lost its array of microwave dishes.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

jonleeds wrote: Wasn't the Hunters.Stones transmitter one of the backbone masts? I was told that this was set up for when the cold war went hot and usual telecoms services were destroyed by nuclear attacks. The backbone system would have still allowed command and control systems to communicate. I've noticed over the past 2 decades the Norwood site seems to have lost its array of microwave dishes. Yes, pretty sure Hunters Stones was part of it. Have read of the nearby "American Airbase" apparently having quite a number of phone lines to it, some of them from Hunters Stones. Hard to know what's true and what isn't about these places though.    

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I know its not exactly Leeds, but secret nonetheless, back in the late 90s I went on a mass trespass of the Menwith Hill base as part of Yorkshire CND, we just rushed the entrance a couple of hundred of us and proceeded to roam around the place getting chased by American servicemen and the police, it was hilarious watching some of the CND'er who'd dressed up in foam missile shaped costumes getting rugby tackled to the ground, even the police were pissing themselves. It got a bit more serious though when some folks started clambering up these high pylons to attach banners, fortunately nobody was hurt.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge