Scotland Mill - a walk and an explore

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian to see what i think is your 'intriguing "bricked potato store''go up to the Slabbering baby, it's only about 20-30 ft away. From the Slabbering baby walk back towards the Ring road along the same path. You should see a mound of earth with large stone slabs layed across, there is a small gap under where you can see it used to go underground. It's obviously going to be around the vicinity where Verity's tea rooms used to be, so the Slabbering baby is a good starting to point to look. I used to have a pic of it somewhere. I'll see if it's still about, If not i do need one again.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian to see what i think is your 'intriguing "bricked potato store''go up to the Slabbering baby, it's only about 20-30 ft away. From the Slabbering baby walk back towards the Ring road along the same path. You should see a mound of earth with large stone slabs layed across, there is a small gap under where you can see it used to go underground. It's obviously going to be around the vicinity where Verity's tea rooms used to be, so the Slabbering baby is a good starting to point to look. I used to have a pic of it somewhere. I'll see if it's still about, If not i do need one again.     Thanks Phill. That is much appreciated.I've seen those stone slabs for many years now and have wondered what they are the remains of. I would never have guessed a potato store! I probably have photos of the site somewhere but I cannot readily find them so I have put one of a wintry scene of the Slabbering Baby that I took on December 24 2010. It was very icy in front, but the water for that drains out of the ground a little to the left as seen as water only now comes out of the Babbling Baby if it has been very wet.
Attachments
__TFMF_0n0tc0q3lvfk4b2ztsc2odz1_5dd56665-86c8-4853-8579-29349a2122fe_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0n0tc0q3lvfk4b2ztsc2odz1_5dd56665-86c8-4853-8579-29349a2122fe_0_main.jpg (162.39 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I'm not 100% sure those stone slabs are from the potatoe store. But their certainly in the right place where the Adel website places it. It's certainly where Verity's used to be. I have seen some sources say those slabs could be an ice house. And another theory is retting pits to soak flax. But in my opinion it is too high up from the beck. I do reckon it's the less than glamouress spud store I've also never seen Verity's tea rooms on any maps. Infact there is very little info about the place to be found. Anyone know when it was built and demolished?        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I'm sure you've seen this website Leodian.It's pretty well detailed and informative of what can be found in the woodshttp://adelassociation.org.uk/4.6.5/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=329

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

theres more information and pictures on the "Slabbering Baby Well " in the Holy Wells and Spa's thread on here for anyone interested.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I'm sure you've seen this website Leodian.It's pretty well detailed and informative of what can be found in the woodshttp://adelassociation.org.uk/4.6.5/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=329 Thanks for that link Phill, which I was not aware of.Regarding the photos I thought I had taken recently of the "potato store". I took a lot of photos in the immediate area on November 24th 2010 but have none of the store! I know I had a close look at the site and felt sure I had taken photos!I have attached a photo I took that day of the building that I have always thought was some of the remains of Verity's cafe (close to the Blabbering Baby) but I'm unsure if it is. During a recent stroll (likely that on November 24) I noticed that a narrow drainage ditch had been dug out form the small pond on the other side of the beck from the Slabbering Baby. It seemed odd to have dug it, as it does not seem to be an obvious place to have dug it rather than improve the old draining out of the pond that runs into the very close beck (which I call Nanny Beck). I did though notice that there were several bits of broken cockery in the dug ground. I wonder if they were anything from Verity's cafe, as that would have been very close by.    
Attachments
__TFMF_a4iyhjfzp43ukfytawdrqwzv_667b1379-bcc5-40ee-a66f-ac236f5389d6_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_a4iyhjfzp43ukfytawdrqwzv_667b1379-bcc5-40ee-a66f-ac236f5389d6_0_main.jpg (193.21 KiB) Viewed 5352 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is another photo taken on November 24 2010 of what I think may be some remains of Verity's cafe.
Attachments
__TFMF_a4iyhjfzp43ukfytawdrqwzv_f3e36a20-35dd-4abb-82be-63c5587caa3d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_a4iyhjfzp43ukfytawdrqwzv_f3e36a20-35dd-4abb-82be-63c5587caa3d_0_main.jpg (148.2 KiB) Viewed 5352 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I think that building you photographed is about as salubrious as the spud store Leodian. There toilets!! There was a way in through a window at one time so i had a look. Nothing worth seeing in there.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I think that building you photographed is about as salubrious as the spud store Leodian. There toilets!! There was a way in through a window at one time so i had a look. Nothing worth seeing in there. Ooops I never thought it was once a toilet! Red faced me.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: I think that building you photographed is about as salubrious as the spud store Leodian. There toilets!! There was a way in through a window at one time so i had a look. Nothing worth seeing in there. Ooops I never thought it was once a toilet! Red faced me. Haha. No worries. We can only assume things till we see inside. It does seem a strange place for some loos though i agree!