Dissapearing tunnel

Places to explore
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill_dvsn wrote: chameleon wrote: @ Phil _http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26238939 Thanks for that Chameleon, I saw it when it was on the news the other day. Interesting to watch, it will never happen though. It's in very bad condition inside, it's obviously a cause for concern regarding the desire to fill it in. Aye, but if they do get it re-opened it can joint the East Leeds- Bradford cycle way and allow cyclists to travel all the way to Halifax....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Unfortunately old cuttings and tunnels are in demand, as a suitable place to dump non toxic waste.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Tilly I also heard that there were meant to be gold sovereigns placed somewhere inside Morley tunnel. However this is all I could find on a recent web search so maybe this has got confused with stories of other tunnels sovereigns?                 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Morley Tunnel is a railway tunnel in West Yorkshire, England, that is situated between Morley railway station and Batley railway station on the Huddersfield Line. From its northern end, it extends 4,320 yards, passing beneath Morley town centre, to its southern end.Work started on the tunnel in 1845, with the first stone being laid at the Batley end of the tunnel on Monday, 23 February 1846. On that day at 12 o'clock a procession arrived at the Batley end, consisting of the 69th Infantry Band followed by workmen involved with the project (each holding aloft a banner), the directors, the contractors and other interested parties.The first stone was laid by John Gott the chairman of the Leeds, Dewsbury and Manchester Railway, and he marked this occasion by addressing the crowd and handing over £50 to the workmen in the hope it would contribute to their enjoyment and the festivities of the day.A brass plate was attached to the stone, with the inscription: 'This, the first stone of the Morley tunnel of the Leeds, Dewsbury, and Manchester Railway, was laid by the chairman, John Gott, Esq., of Armley, near Leeds, on Monday, 23rd February, 1846. Directors, Christopher Beckett, Thomas Benyon, Joseph Brook, William Brown, Thomas Cooke, James Garth Marshall, David William Nell and Thomas Starkey. Thomas Granger, engineer. Jones and Pickering, contractors.'The tunnel was finally completed in 1848, when the last keystone was placed at the Morley end of the tunnel by Mr. Granger, the principal engineer. The completion of the tunnel created much excitement around the town, and a band marked this occasion when it played at the event. The completion of the tunnel provided a much needed rail link between Yorkshire and Lancashire.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

tilly

Post by tilly »

jonleeds wrote: Tilly I also heard that there were meant to be gold sovereigns placed somewhere inside Morley tunnel. However this is all I could find on a recent web search so maybe this has got confused with stories of other tunnels sovereigns? Hi jonleeds if I remember there were items put under that stone I have looked for it but of course the plate is long gone it could have been in a book called An History Of Morley that I first came across an article about the tunnel.I was looking for information about Howley Hall at the time I worked in Morley Tunnel in the seventys we put lights in the roof from one end to the other what a job that was, it was for new ballast and concrete sleepers to be laid one generator was at the bottom of the air shaft in the post office yard you had to walk from the station after the last train had gone through to start it up.It was pitch black if you turned the torch of you could not even see your hand a very spooky place not for the faint hearted It might have been in Mayhalls Annulls Of Yorkshire that I saw the item about the stone.-PS Sorry I don't know how my reply was posted on the middle of your posts.-------------------------------------------------------------------------Morley Tunnel is a railway tunnel in West Yorkshire, England, that is situated between Morley railway station and Batley railway station on the Huddersfield Line. From its northern end, it extends 4,320 yards, passing beneath Morley town centre, to its southern end.Work started on the tunnel in 1845, with the first stone being laid at the Batley end of the tunnel on Monday, 23 February 1846. On that day at 12 o'clock a procession arrived at the Batley end, consisting of the 69th Infantry Band followed by workmen involved with the project (each holding aloft a banner), the directors, the contractors and other interested parties.The first stone was laid by John Gott the chairman of the Leeds, Dewsbury and Manchester Railway, and he marked this occasion by addressing the crowd and handing over £50 to the workmen in the hope it would contribute to their enjoyment and the festivities of the day.A brass plate was attached to the stone, with the inscription: 'This, the first stone of the Morley tunnel of the Leeds, Dewsbury, and Manchester Railway, was laid by the chairman, John Gott, Esq., of Armley, near Leeds, on Monday, 23rd February, 1846. Directors, Christopher Beckett, Thomas Benyon, Joseph Brook, William Brown, Thomas Cooke, James Garth Marshall, David William Nell and Thomas Starkey. Thomas Granger, engineer. Jones and Pickering, contractors.'The tunnel was finally completed in 1848, when the last keystone was placed at the Morley end of the tunnel by Mr. Granger, the principal engineer. The completion of the tunnel created much excitement around the town, and a band marked this occasion when it played at the event. The completion of the tunnel provided a much needed rail link between Yorkshire and Lancashire.     
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Talking about foundation stones i remember years ago an item about Middleton.It was about a 1933 penny that was stolen from under one in Middleton. I think it was a working mens club does any one know any thing about this.?A 1933 penny is worth a lot of money it is a very rare coin.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

tilly wrote: Talking about foundation stones i remember years ago an item about Middleton.It was about a 1933 penny that was stolen from under one in Middleton. I think it was a working mens club does any one know any thing about this.?A 1933 penny is worth a lot of money it is a very rare coin.     In August 1970 it was discovered that thieves had stolen the set of coins deposited beneath the foundation stone of the Church of St Cross, Middleton, near Leedshttp://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/collection/c ... 933-penny/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder what happened to the 1933 penny stolen from the Middleton church? It would surely be too famous to be put up for sale so it may be stored hidden somewhere, or perhaps it was spent before decimalisation came in if its value was not known!!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick wrote: tilly wrote: Talking about foundation stones i remember years ago an item about Middleton.It was about a 1933 penny that was stolen from under one in Middleton. I think it was a working mens club does any one know any thing about this.?A 1933 penny is worth a lot of money it is a very rare coin.     In August 1970 it was discovered that thieves had stolen the set of coins deposited beneath the foundation stone of the Church of St Cross, Middleton, near Leedshttp://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/collection/c ... 933-penny/ Thanks for that uncle mick you always come up with the goods.But not the 1933 penny lol.