Dissapearing tunnel

Places to explore
revdavid

Post by revdavid »

Rockin gal wrote: I remeber the Greenside tunnels as a young girl in the mid 70's. The area near smalewell Road was known locally as Happy Valley and as a young child we would dare each other to walk through the tunnel to the Carlisle Rd end. Does anybody remember these tunnels being referred to as the treacle mines of Pudsey. I remember when I was approx 9 years old being taken there on a sunday school trip from Pudsey Parish Church. Approximately 25ft into the entrance of the tunnel was a man (treacle miner) sat on a stool handing out spoons full of treacle to the children. I believed he was real for many years. I am sure Calendar news filmed the event. I was that man - actually a 19 year old student at the time! I had a handkerchief on my head and some old braces. I came out of the tunnel and spouted some guff about treacle being laid down in the pre-historic age when rhubarb trees were all around. It was also reported with photograph in The Guardian!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

revdavid wrote: Rockin gal wrote: I remeber the Greenside tunnels as a young girl in the mid 70's. The area near smalewell Road was known locally as Happy Valley and as a young child we would dare each other to walk through the tunnel to the Carlisle Rd end. Does anybody remember these tunnels being referred to as the treacle mines of Pudsey. I remember when I was approx 9 years old being taken there on a sunday school trip from Pudsey Parish Church. Approximately 25ft into the entrance of the tunnel was a man (treacle miner) sat on a stool handing out spoons full of treacle to the children. I believed he was real for many years. I am sure Calendar news filmed the event. I was that man - actually a 19 year old student at the time! I had a handkerchief on my head and some old braces. I came out of the tunnel and spouted some guff about treacle being laid down in the pre-historic age when rhubarb trees were all around. It was also reported with photograph in The Guardian! mmmmmmmm treacle miners with treacle laden spoons argggggggh
Attachments
__TFMF_b3kaw045aa50sq45lynkwgzm_de88bb6b-3e5e-4965-81b0-2f8e3b0f7385_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_b3kaw045aa50sq45lynkwgzm_de88bb6b-3e5e-4965-81b0-2f8e3b0f7385_0_main.jpg (14.16 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

sundowner wrote: Hi folks done a bit of work in tunnels in the past strange        places .worked on contract Li ghting the track for ballast cleaning and track laying fixed lights all the way through morley tunnel to the roof that is. Used to. come out black as the ace of spads soot at least one inch thick worked in woolley edge and arthington i did notknow    what pitch black was till i went into the tunnels.I did not think there were things like ghosts not sure now.some have a room cut into solid rock this is for safety reasons .you need somewere to go with a train on both tracks I've just noticed this thread has been bumped back into he active threads list.Talking of ghosts in tunnels Sundowner.I had a look at a very jinxed tunnel in Preston on Saturday.There have been several bad accidents and deaths in and around the Deepdale tunnels one, two and three!Oh yeah for good measure-according to local legend the tunnels are haunted by the ghost of the Grey ladyThe full story and pictures are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 93/detail/
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Phill_dvsn wrote: sundowner wrote: Hi folks done a bit of work in tunnels in the past strange        places .worked on contract Li ghting the track for ballast cleaning and track laying fixed lights all the way through morley tunnel to the roof that is. Used to. come out black as the ace of spads soot at least one inch thick worked in woolley edge and arthington i did notknow    what pitch black was till i went into the tunnels.I did not think there were things like ghosts not sure now.some have a room cut into solid rock this is for safety reasons .you need somewere to go with a train on both tracks I've just noticed this thread has been bumped back into he active threads list.Talking of ghosts in tunnels Sundowner.I had a look at a very jinxed tunnel in Preston on Saturday.There have been several bad accidents and deaths in and around the Deepdale tunnels one, two and three!Oh yeah for good measure-according to local legend the tunnels are haunted by the ghost of the Grey ladyThe full story and pictures are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 93/detail/ Hi Phil dvsn I once did a job in Arthington Tunnel it was on a Saturday night it was a late start had to wait for the last train to move through. Some of the British Rail lads had been for a pint before the start of the work i had to walk through turning on the generators for the lights. They had a train to bring up the workmen and all the tools to cut a long story short one of the lads said he did not want to work so the foreman told him to walk out this was quite a long walk after about half an hour he came back white has a ghost he said he had seen a man with what i would call a stove pipe hat on he would not move from the train and spent the night in the guards van he swore he would never work in a tunnel again.Ps Nice photos i allways take an interest in you under ground work thanks for giving us a chance to share it keep up the good work.    

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

weenie wrote: whilst i was out and about today i took a more detailed look of buildings and things and noticed that when i went down ledgard way towardds eddy's motorcycles i was looking at that building on my left, the one on the embankment nr Armley Mills and noticed that there was an arch bricked up, as i know that this building is linked to Armley Mills i thought it might have been a link way but then i thought its a railway embankment at t'other side? just thought i'd mention it here. Hi Weenie - I assume you are referring to the building that is adjacent to the railway bridge on Canal road with a bricked up arch in an exterior wall.This was Armley Canal road station and the building on the left as you are heading down hill was the booking office and station masters office, if you look at it from the railway bridge you can see the Station masters office bow window from where he could keep an eye on things. The bricked up arch led onto a foot bridge that in turn led to a staircase down onto an island platform, the platform was built long enough to accomodate full length express trains, the idea was to use this station to stop Anglo Scottish expresses such as the Thames Clyde from London to Glasgow there and save reversing them at Leeds, passengers then being taken to Leeds on a local or connecting serviceI don't think this plan was ever actually put into operation and Canal road ended up being a suburban station with one of the longest platforms in the Leeds area.Incidentally, as you cross the railway bridge on your way towards Kirkstall Rd the buildings on the right hand side were in fact the Canal Rd goods offices.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I think Ialready mentioned this on here before, not this thread but elsewhere on SL.My dad, during the war was only a small boy, but was walking up canal road one day and looked over the bridge to see a massive troop train full of US squaddies. A lot of them on the platform smoking. A big burly US sgt shouted at em all to put out their cigs and get back on the train. As the train pulled out of the Canal Rd station, there were hundreds of partially burnt cigs. The station master cam running out and picked them all up, not for cleanlines but for his own use..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Glenny3363

Post by Glenny3363 »

Went for another look at Greenside tunnel last weekend, the railings and gates have been repaired to stop people going in.Shame as I had remembered my torch this time!!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Glenny3363 wrote: Went for another look at Greenside tunnel last weekend, the railings and gates have been repaired to stop people going in.Shame as I had remembered my torch this time!!! Next time bring your BLOWtorch lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Glenny3363 wrote: Went for another look at Greenside tunnel last weekend, the railings and gates have been repaired to stop people going in.Shame as I had remembered my torch this time!!! Next time bring your BLOWtorch lol (Or take Phill and his crew )

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: Brandy wrote: Glenny3363 wrote: Went for another look at Greenside tunnel last weekend, the railings and gates have been repaired to stop people going in.Shame as I had remembered my torch this time!!! Next time bring your BLOWtorch lol (Or take Phill and his crew ) I thought that might be coming Were there's a will there's a way.I must admit i'm getting too old for all that stuff.They still don't beat me tho.There was a few tense moments doing the monster of Crigglestone here http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 78/detail/    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!