Underground Leeds-A virtual tour

Places to explore
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

beast wrote: thats a superb set of photos. I remember the section over East Street at Steander quite well. Near Battys brushworks and the Waterloo pub, and I was having a look at the Mabgate/Hope Rd section the other day.Hopefully in Spring next year a few of us are going to explore it all setting off from Meanwood.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I believe there are plans to demolish (or possibly redevelop) the Millgarth Poilce Station as part of the Eastgate/Harewood Quarter project, so I wonder if there will need to be changes to the tunnel under there?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Thanks for the good feedback guys @ Jim. Yes the the Steander course was the main outfall into the river according to the maps and archive photos i've come across researching this. Infact the area around Fearns Island you mention doesn't resemble a beck at all. A picture how it looked just past the East Street bridge can be seen herehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 32@gbdlufc. Glad you enjoyed it and it rekindled some childhood memories for you @ Chameleon. Yes it is nice to be able to scroll down and read the whole thing in one go. I was just a little concerned the page may be slow to load with too much data on it, it seems ok though.No big explores planned for the Christmas period, just family visits and putting the feet up time for me.@ Leodian. Yes apparently the Millgarth site is a bit of a pain for the Eastgate planners. These are the words from the Architect himself.Quote.The Millgarth site is problematic due to the Lady Beck culvert. The culvert bisects the site (N-S) and the police station is effectively built with two legs straddling the beck. This makes the site inapropriate for retail and I suggest it would be better divided into separate plots either side of the culvert used for hotel/office.Issues with the culvert/Environment Agency requirements would have meant changes to the original masterplan even had the recession not intervened.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That parts built in Victorian times still survive shows they must have been built well. I wonder if any Victorian graffiti or at least names of builders still survive enough to be made out? Probably not, but you never know.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: That parts built in Victorian times still survive shows they must have been built well. I wonder if any Victorian graffiti or at least names of builders still survive enough to be made out? Probably not, but you never know. The oldest grafitti down there was the 1980's Stranglers i'm afraid
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's some interesting information on the beck http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/2006/week ... 994131.pdf    

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

An excellent "tour de force" again from Phill. I love the way the comparisons are made using older ordnance survey maps and also with present day aerial photos. There is a tremendous amount of work gone into the preparation of this thread and Secret Leeds is fabulous for threads like this.The designers of the various culverts had a great understanding of "dry weather flows" which were catered for in the bottom channel, whereas the flood flows were catered throughout the rest of the culvert cross sectional area. This is in stark contrast to the reinforced concrete rectangular box culverts being constructed today which use the complete width of the channel for all flows.Phill,.... a book??PC

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Brilliant work as ever Phill - many thanks Incidentally the Cinema shown on the 1933 map[about a third of the way down this page of the thread] was the 'Olympia Picture Hall' on Cherry Row. It was a cinema from 1912 to 1934, according to my trusty copy of 'Preedy'The building still exists - I'll try to get some photos, wonder if theres any evidence left of its time as a cinema?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Your projects are outstanding.Loved EVERY one of them,you should be in publishing or TV.You remind me of that chap on ITV who did an interesting programme with a theme. . .cant remember his name. . .he was an oldish chap,maybe he travelled on a bike discovering Yorkshire?A long time ago but a great programme.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Another classic Mr D, its a while since I watched the video version, but I think I prefer the walk and talk version.Now where is that scratch and smell card .............
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?