Underground Leeds-A virtual tour

Places to explore
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

So I take it from what you put earlier Phil that once this guy went into the sewer via the door,he wouldn't be able to come back out as the force required would be too much.is there another exit you know of?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

According to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-22343962 they'll be keeping an eye out at Knostrop Cut. Not the most pleasant "log" flume around though. I had a look through work's health and safety handbook and even in underground works that aren't sewers there's still a lot of precautions you have to take, including a gas detector that checks for carbon monoxide, methane, hydrogen sulphide and % of oxygen. Hydrogen sulphide is unpleasant, but it's really dangerous when you can't smell it any more.    

Caron

Post by Caron »

Picnic at Knostrop anyone?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Steve Jones wrote: So I take it from what you put earlier Phil that once this guy went into the sewer via the door,he wouldn't be able to come back out as the force required would be too much.is there another exit you know of? He'd be able to get out that way again, but think of it like a very heavy letterbox. It's designed to need a lot of pressure behind it before it opens.From the sounds of things he (and the search and rescue) have gone up the concrete overflow pipe as far as it goes. The overflow pipe would look like this, and be about the same diameterVery confined in there, difficult to get along but do-able just. It doesn't look bad from that photo, but the further you go up the pipe it will get dirtier and more slippery. Not to forget it will be absolute pitch black in there, he'd not have been able to see a thing inside, no big problem if your following a straight pipe, dam frightening non the less.It's all gone very wrong for him where the concrete overflow pipe has met the main sewer. The main sewers are much bigger inside, old, very slippery and usually built of brick. The overflow pipes are built a good distance up the sewer walls so to only let water go down them during times of high levels.So he's gone along totally blind, in effect he'll have walked straight into the main sewer and gone flying and plunged in, depending on how much water was in there he'll have been taken with the flow. It's more than likely he hurt himself badly when he fell in, broken arms or limbs. He'd not have been able to get back down the way he came. So it's just a case of what kills him first, the noxious gases, or been battered to bits flowing down the sewer.It all depends on how deep the water is in the sewer is till he's found. It could take weeks before his body is washed up at the sewage works if it doesn't rain much. All in all a horrible death                         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Phill_dvsn wrote: All in all a horrible death                      a sh*t way to die in fact :-(
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Are those the things that made that weird noise down there - it was on youtube? Some 44 years on he may wash up as David Oluwale did.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Could someone have held open the entrance cover whilst someone walked in then, smoothed over the prints and made a new set of footprints reversing out?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Are those the things that made that weird noise down there - it was on youtube? Some 44 years on he may wash up as David Oluwale did. Cars going over manhole covers that Jogon. Caron wrote: Could someone have held open the entrance cover whilst someone walked in then, smoothed over the prints and made a new set of footprints reversing out? There was only two of them, and the Police saw the other one scarper along the road. Unless the guy could walk backwards, and stand in exactly the same footprints as he went in, and bent double doing so in the pitch black. I doubt it Caron lol     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Caron

Post by Caron »

Well.... I don't doubt anyone's ability when it comes to greed

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Unless the guy could walk backwards.... Oh dear http://youtu.be/TCy-7VOgBdY