Underground Leeds-A virtual tour

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

DNA hope in bid to ID Leeds sewer suspect UPDATED.Police were last night examining forensic evidence in a bid to identify the burglar who is feared dead after escaping into a Leeds sewer. Experts say the potency of toxic gases in the sewers means anyone in the system is unlikely to maintain consciousness for more than a few minutes.However, because of a relative lack of recent rainfall, it could be several days before the man’s body ends up at Knostrop. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5626791
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The storm water outfall i about a metre in diam and the regent street sewer about 2m. It will have plenty of junk and silt in it. I can't work out where they join but it is a very hostile environment and entry is subject to all sorts of training and safety requirements.It's worthwhile mentioning that any confines space with decaying vegetation, organic matter, silt and mud can geenrate these gasses and be toxix/lethal.If you do urbex, portable monitors are not cheap but could be a lifesaver.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Having heard nothing more about the incident since I wonder if it is known if the man's body has been found, or is it assumed to be still in the sewer but unsafe to search for.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Talking of Meanwood Beck I've noticed that work has started on the waste ground on both sides of the beck at the North Street/Sheepscar Street area. I wonder if there are any plans to cover the currently exposed short stretch of Meanwood/Sheepscar Beck there.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Leodian wrote: Having heard nothing more about the incident since I wonder if it is known if the man's body has been found, or is it assumed to be still in the sewer but unsafe to search for. No body as they don't think he went up there after all.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote: Leodian wrote: Having heard nothing more about the incident since I wonder if it is known if the man's body has been found, or is it assumed to be still in the sewer but unsafe to search for. No body as they don't think he went up there after all. Thanks for that update Cardiarms.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote: Talking of Meanwood Beck I've noticed that work has started on the waste ground on both sides of the beck at the North Street/Sheepscar Street area. I wonder if there are any plans to cover the currently exposed short stretch of Meanwood/Sheepscar Beck there. Passing by today (June 21 2013) I noticed that there is now a very large advertising board well cemented in on the North Street/Meanwood Road side. I wonder if that board is though only temporary before the site gets developed?Edit added July 1st. I've just added a photo of the advertising board that I took on June 25 2013. Note that the rusty valve controlled item is still there, as it has been since the Balmforth's tannery was demolished some years back. I assume that whatever its use had been it was related to that firm.
Attachments
__TFMF_tlpmdtnecqt3iv45zcb4w045_126585a0-9673-47ff-8545-a1e84692e81a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tlpmdtnecqt3iv45zcb4w045_126585a0-9673-47ff-8545-a1e84692e81a_0_main.jpg (76.55 KiB) Viewed 3439 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In view of Phill's superb set of photos that started this thread I thought I would add this one that I took on June 25 2013. It shows some lush weed growth in the open section of Meanwood/Sheepscar Beck just before where the beck runs under North Street. There is a photo taken by Phill on page 1 that shows a view looking towards where the beck goes under North Street but my photo is looking the other way.
Attachments
__TFMF_ccpxrnec4vjhhf454l0uhh45_219fca48-7a55-4f85-846e-83baa282fc64_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ccpxrnec4vjhhf454l0uhh45_219fca48-7a55-4f85-846e-83baa282fc64_0_main.jpg (155.02 KiB) Viewed 3439 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Just been looking at today's (15.7.13) top 50 on Leodis and found this, don't know if seen."..4th February 1910 view under the old bridge which crossed Sheepscar Beck at the junction of Hope Street and Regent Street. Two men stand in the tunnel, with a plank over the beck..."http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 9_54166812    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Just been looking at today's (15.7.13) top 50 on Leodis and found this, don't know if seen."..4th February 1910 view under the old bridge which crossed Sheepscar Beck at the junction of Hope Street and Regent Street. Two men stand in the tunnel, with a plank over the beck..."http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 9_54166812     That part doesn't survive today Jogon.Hope Street has gone, and New York Road basically stands on top of it. That part of tunnel will have been rebuilt when New York Road was built. http://goo.gl/maps/sn68Q    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!