Day Hole Miggy Colliery

Places to explore
jim
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun 17 May, 2009 10:09 am

Postby jim » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 2:50 pm

Once we get onto seams, Parksider, you will have to ask Grumpytramp! My acquired knowledge has been restricted to railways and visible industrial remains, and I have no intention of getting out of my "comfort zone".

(EDIT)
( and our above posts seem to have crossed! )
The Parksider
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 2:51 pm

jim wrote:


Again from memory, the third rail-served pit you mention was as you say, two open pits, the pit to the east of the railway very small, and I believe both for clay. At a later date a light narrow gauge rail track led up the valley to the brick-works from the larger pit.



There is indeed a run of line leaving MR at Belle Isle Hamlet and terminating in a position smack on the brickworks.

The map does not qualify any pit as abandoned COAL pit!!!

So it's fireclay activity - great stuff. I take it this is of course 20th. Century workings?

Another one. The Map shows an abandoned pit on the line itself at Park Halt as it is today. Broom is further down depicted along with a oblong black structure.

What was this pit?
The Parksider
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 2:52 pm

jim wrote:


I have no intention of getting out of my "comfort zone".



For your own interest do check the Middleton Tithe map.....
jim
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun 17 May, 2009 10:09 am

Postby jim » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 2:54 pm

Is it to shovel the remains of brain-spinning Secret Leedsers?

To be serious, I have absolutely no idea!

jim
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun 17 May, 2009 10:09 am

Postby jim » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 2:55 pm

The Parksider wrote:
jim wrote:


I have no intention of getting out of my "comfort zone".



For your own interest do check the Middleton Tithe map.....


Please sir ---where is it?
jim
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun 17 May, 2009 10:09 am

Postby jim » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 3:02 pm

The Parksider wrote:
jim wrote:


Again from memory, the third rail-served pit you mention was as you say, two open pits, the pit to the east of the railway very small, and I believe both for clay. At a later date a light narrow gauge rail track led up the valley to the brick-works from the larger pit.



There is indeed a run of line leaving MR at Belle Isle Hamlet and terminating in a position smack on the brickworks.



In case of any readers confusion,I would point out that the narrow gauge track was entirely independent of the Middleton Railway, and the two did not meet at any point.
The Parksider
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 3:16 pm

jim wrote:
The Parksider wrote:
jim wrote:


Again from memory, the third rail-served pit you mention was as you say, two open pits, the pit to the east of the railway very small, and I believe both for clay. At a later date a light narrow gauge rail track led up the valley to the brick-works from the larger pit.



There is indeed a run of line leaving MR at Belle Isle Hamlet and terminating in a position smack on the brickworks.



In case of any readers confusion,I would point out that the narrow gauge track was entirely independent of the Middleton Railway, and the two did not meet at any point.


OK thanks for that and all other thoughts. Google Leeds Tithe Map project for all the pre-OS maps....
jim
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun 17 May, 2009 10:09 am

Postby jim » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 3:51 pm

The Parksider wrote:


Google Leeds Tithe Map project for all the pre-OS maps....


My thanks for that Parksider.    

jim
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun 17 May, 2009 10:09 am

Postby jim » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 11:06 pm

The Tithe Maps are really useful, Parksider, thanks again. While playing with its possibilities I found more evidence to support some of my Cockersdale mill waterway beliefs!

I think the Gosforth ventilation shaft/s could well have been in the tiny plot 191 near the south-east corner of the Middleton Sheet.

If you find Westland Road on the present day map and then compare it with the Tithe Map, I believe plot 469, containing a building and a pond, is probably the site of Beeston Pit.

New Pit was almost central in Middleton Sheet plot 322, and I think the tiny clay pit could have been in the equally tiny plot 317.

With regard to the mystery pit in the "crossroad" area south of Broom, I'm afraid I only see the buildings of the old Belle Isle Village, lost for many years under tipped pit waste.

On that subject I have just searched Leodis for "Middleton Colliery", and find a wealth of material which, if you haven't already seen it, you should find of great interest. There are, for instance, at least four views of New Pit. Photos Nos 33 and 34 are said to be of "Middleton Pit", but I am certain that the headgear shown is that of New Pit.

Several pictures show various buildings of Belle Isle Village, including one of Waterloo Cottages at the side of the present day footpath leading to the side entrance to the Park. I don't think I have ever seen a view of these cottages before. In the background of Photo No 32 the eventual quarry walls of the larger clay pit are just visible.
The Parksider
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 1:08 am

jim wrote:


I have just searched Leodis for "Middleton Colliery", and find a wealth of material which, if you haven't already seen it, you should find of great interest.



The photographic archive is building for the area!! I am just waiting for the definive early 20th.C ariel shot!!

I found the holbeck painting of 1760 fascinating - in it there's a viaduct carrying the Miggy Railway to Leeds, this is also depicted in whittocks famous engraving.

But I find it hard to believe this existed the land from the Moor to the staithes was a flat as a pancake. Of course the GWS staithes were built on a series of low arches, but there we go!

Any early rail buffs on here can comment???????

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 6 and 0 guests