What remains of east end park bunker?

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I used to live not that far away from the area and as a child in the early to mid 1950s I used to play there. I can't recall knowing of the bunker, so it must have been well covered by then as I'm sure if I knew of it and there was a way in I would have gone in! Shame I never knew of it!Just below the concrete path in the Google image (going down a little bit) in Brigantian's first post there is an almost circular isolated grassed looking area. In view of its shape I wonder if there is any structure beneath it?One thing I do recall was that when a few of us were chumping we came across a bomb-like (or actual!) casing in a back garden (next to the park) of a house on Nixon Avenue (I can't recall which one). We left it in the garden. I wonder if it is still there after at least 55 years?     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brigantian

Post by Brigantian »

Nice to meet another native if I find any old amo while im proding about I will let you know :0)I would say that is what remains of the band standhttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 8_19385928

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Brigantian wrote: Nice to meet another native if I find any old amo while im proding about I will let you know :0)I would say that is what remains of the band standhttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 8_19385928 Thanks.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Doggers

Post by The Doggers »

That's my Dad's house in the 2nd link in the first post! I remember one time, a woman fell asleep at the wheel and went straight off the bend in the road, through the two concrete bollards and into the tree at the side of the park. She had a young baby in a seat in the passenger seat too but luckily they were OK. I never realised there was a bunker there and always wondered why there was a patch of concrete. Does anybody remember the toilets that were next to the house on the park?

Croggy2

Post by Croggy2 »

Leodian wrote: Just below the concrete path in the Google image (going down a little bit) in Brigantian's first post there is an almost circular isolated grassed looking area. In view of its shape I wonder if there is any structure beneath it? Is this approximately the site for the bonfire every year? I usually park somewhere along/just off Ings Rd and walk across that area.

Brigantian

Post by Brigantian »

Ah yes I do now you mention it, in fact I had a bit of a thing for the girl that used to live in the house in the park when I was nowt but a lad, bless.yeah I remember the crash, I grew up on Dawlish road and word got out about it, Do you remember in the 90's when some %£%^£ set a welders van on fire full of oxygen and acetylene that went with a bang!Also did you know the play ground part were the swings are used to be a duck pond )

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Well spotted Brigantian.That's the only shelter i didn't think still existed. I think someone on S.L said it was roughly where the Tennis courts are now.You can clearly see the layout of the shelter, there seems six bays which makes this one even bigger than the Gotts park shelter if so.There doesn't seem any visible escape hatches. There usually one in each corner of each bay. There should be 24 of them if this is indeed a 6 bay shelter.      HA HA HA,congratulations,you hooked a digger!!Now all you have to do is a thread about paganism,ghosts or dancing around with no clothes on to catch a Jonesy.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The Doggers wrote: That's my Dad's house in the 2nd link in the first post! I remember one time, a woman fell asleep at the wheel and went straight off the bend in the road, through the two concrete bollards and into the tree at the side of the park. She had a young baby in a seat in the passenger seat too but luckily they were OK. I never realised there was a bunker there and always wondered why there was a patch of concrete. Does anybody remember the toilets that were next to the house on the park? There was a similar extent of concrete at Harehills park,wonder if its still there?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Brigantian

Post by Brigantian »

Funny you should say that....     

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Brigantian wrote: Funny you should say that....      Its still there,just looked on Google earth,but no strong evidence of shelters on it.Do you know,i always wondered what it was as a kid.The older kids said it was a wicket,i thought that cricket wickets were made form grass,but didnt think to question.Cheers Brigantian.Would like to join you if you are going to explore my home park.