What remains of east end park bunker?

Places to explore
Brigantian

Post by Brigantian »

Yeah that sounds like fun, I have an ex army mine finder (metal detector) and I'll dig out some kit.Nice of you to offer, are you playing out in the vic on satdi. I will be wearing a red carnation stood under the clock so you can recognise me. we can discuss it then

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

cnosni wrote: The Doggers wrote: That's my Dad's house in the 2nd link in the first post! I remember one time, a woman fell asleep at the wheel and went straight off the bend in the road, through the two concrete bollards and into the tree at the side of the park. She had a young baby in a seat in the passenger seat too but luckily they were OK. I never realised there was a bunker there and always wondered why there was a patch of concrete. Does anybody remember the toilets that were next to the house on the park? There was a similar extent of concrete at Harehills park,wonder if its still there? Looked on Google Earth and it's still there. Played cricket on it many times when attending Brownhill School in the early 50's. I also remember one in Manston Park.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Brigantian

Post by Brigantian »

Heck Manston park is not far from where is live now.Could this be ithttp://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Manston+Lane,+Leeds&sll=53.799639,-1.549122&sspn=0.311047,1.056747&g=leeds&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manston+Ln,+Leeds+LS15,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.807717,-1.443889&spn=0.000607,0.002064&t=h&z=20it's interesting as manston park used to be a sand quarry so I wonder what it's backfilled with

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Brigantian wrote: Heck Manston park is not far from where is live now.Could this be ithttp://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Manston+Lane,+Leeds&sll=53.799639,-1.549122&sspn=0.311047,1.056747&g=leeds&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manston+Ln,+Leeds+LS15,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.807717,-1.443889&spn=0.000607,0.002064&t=h&z=20it's interesting as manston park used to be a sand quarry so I wonder what it's backfilled with I would say that's it Brigantian though it seems longer than 22 yards - still, it was a lot of years ago!
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Brigantian wrote: Yeah that sounds like fun, I have an ex army mine finder (metal detector) and I'll dig out some kit.Nice of you to offer, are you playing out in the vic on satdi. I will be wearing a red carnation stood under the clock so you can recognise me. we can discuss it then Will be at Vic on Saturday,see you then.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Aviat0rCM

Post by Aviat0rCM »

Hello, Its funny you should be talking about this as I also wondered was this part of east end park a Bomb shelter, as the way the terrain suddenly raises, and the random strip of concrete. funnily enough the other day I was strolling along the park when I came across a small hole on what we think was the bomb shelter, later I went back to it and poured some water into it, the water did not sink or disappear, I continued on and later went back to it and only a small amount of water had gone which led me to believe something must be under it. or was it a coincidence?