Mabgate

Places to explore
STICKS

Post by STICKS »

I was told a few week back why it is called Mabgate ,does anyone else no the reason why

STICKS

Post by STICKS »

Does anyone know that there is a tunnel from the top of Abbey Walk were the Hark to Rover cottages are into Kirkstall Abbey,or that the De Lacey family lived just of the end of Morris Lane De-Lacey Mount, Grove, Road, hope this is interesting to some

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

STICKS wrote: I was told a few week back why it is called Mabgate ,does anyone else no the reason why In very loose terms, yes.

STICKS

Post by STICKS »

i DONT KNOW WHAT IN VERY LOOSE TERMS MEANS ?

jim

Post by jim »

In very loose terms it's an occupation Sticks.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Mabgate = loose women.Kirkstall tunnel = everwyhere

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Taken from this Y.E.P 'Save the Mabgate pub' story herehttp://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/barandpu ... 4843.jp*It is a pub steeped in history. Mabgate was once the approach road to the city's eastern boundary, and was an area of some ill-repute. The street name relates to a woman - Queen Mab - but most likely is a reference to the the prostitutes, or "mabs" who once plied their trade nearby.In all probability the pub takes its name from the fact that it is at the city end of Mabgate***There is also allegedly an old tunnel which links the pub with the parish church, several hundred yards away.Whether the clergy used this tunnel as a convenient and discreet way to access the feminine pleasures available in Mabgate is sadly not clear**LOL I see THAT secret tunnel gets a mention again.Perhaps we've found out it now extends up Stoney rock lane to Beckett street cemetery haha     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

As a footnote.SHAKESPEAREQueen MabMercutio’s speech about Queen Mab in Act I.It should be noted that the name “Mab” was an insult in Shakespeare’s time because it was synonymous with “prostitute.”
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Cardiarms wrote: Mabgate = loose women.Kirkstall tunnel = everwyhere That actually did make me laugh out loudthanks for cheering me up
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Mabgate = loose women.Kirkstall tunnel = everwyhere That actually did make me laugh out loudthanks for cheering me up Phil: Clearly this is where the the Stoney Rock Beck disappeared - probably comes out at Temple Newsome.