Underground Mabgate.

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I'm just concerened if this dropping off the river bank at Clarence dock becomes a problem. More reports to the emergency services, or possible accidents involving youngsters. The council will have no option but to fit bars over that outfall to stop it happening I doubt they'd be very pleased at having to go in that culvert monthly to remove the debris built up around the bars. It's more than possible they will fit bars all along the whole culvert as well.            
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Hi Parksider. Yes you can see water from the Stoney beck empties into the Lady beck hereI also think the stream from the Torres/Lupton Ave will have connected with the Stoney beck (As i'm sure Cardiarms will be able to confirm for us too)             My mistake. We find becks so fascinating - must date back to childhood. Also we find underground fascinating again a childhood thing. So channeling becks underground - double fascinating!!I wonder where the next hidden beck will be located.......    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Hi Parksider. Yes you can see water from the Stoney beck empties into the Lady beck hereI also think the stream from the Torres/Lupton Ave will have connected with the Stoney beck (As i'm sure Cardiarms will be able to confirm for us too)             My mistake. We find becks so fascinating - must date back to childhood. Also we find underground fascinating again a childhood thing. So channeling becks underground - double fascinating!!I wonder where the next hidden beck will be located.......     (shh, it's going to be one of Phil's secrets)

beast

Post by beast »

chameleon wrote: beast wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Can't see the pic on my pda but IIRC on the streams and culverts thread I put something about a surface water sewer that runs into the beck arouind here. hopefully a few of us are doing our underground tour in a week or two. I've been told its easier to go upstream from the tunnel at Clarence dock/Armouries and head up to Sheepscar/Meanwood.Had a look the other day and access to the tunnel at Armouries looks easy enough. Please take Phil's comments in the spirit they are intended - purely the interests of safety. We mean no disrespect to you and whilst it may be you are quite experienced as indeed I know Phil to be, it is the case that many people here are not and we try to take care that we are not seen to encourage iresponsible acts.Having said that, if you make the trip, I'm sure people here would be pleased to see a different slant on the place to add to the collection - all we ask is that you bear in mind how some may view the things you can do as being safe and simple when they could lead to problems for the unwary.Enjoy the journey Someone on here recommended doing it going upstream, however the last thing I want to do is incur the wrath of the emergency services !! So back to plan A and do it from Meanwood.I was down near the dock today. What is now Neptune Street was called Steander many years ago and you could see the culvert from Batty's brushworks and one of my favourite pubs,the Waterloo.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

beast wrote: chameleon wrote: beast wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Can't see the pic on my pda but IIRC on the streams and culverts thread I put something about a surface water sewer that runs into the beck arouind here. hopefully a few of us are doing our underground tour in a week or two. I've been told its easier to go upstream from the tunnel at Clarence dock/Armouries and head up to Sheepscar/Meanwood.Had a look the other day and access to the tunnel at Armouries looks easy enough. Please take Phil's comments in the spirit they are intended - purely the interests of safety. We mean no disrespect to you and whilst it may be you are quite experienced as indeed I know Phil to be, it is the case that many people here are not and we try to take care that we are not seen to encourage iresponsible acts.Having said that, if you make the trip, I'm sure people here would be pleased to see a different slant on the place to add to the collection - all we ask is that you bear in mind how some may view the things you can do as being safe and simple when they could lead to problems for the unwary.Enjoy the journey Someone on here recommended doing it going upstream, however the last thing I want to do is incur the wrath of the emergency services !! So back to plan A and do it from Meanwood.I was down near the dock today. What is now Neptune Street was called Steander many years ago and you could see the culvert from Batty's brushworks and one of my favourite pubs,the Waterloo. Good call beast, glad you are willing to listen to the experience of others - we do know 'concerned public' did report one group seen entering at the river end which did result in attendance by the rescue servicesPost your diary and pics for us if you go ahead. (Always a good idea too to let someone know you are going - just in case. . . . )

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The link below should bring up a 'Map of Leeds 1560' that is in the 'Discovering Leeds' section of the Leodis website. The map shows Sheepscar Beck joined by Newton Beck (? Newton as the name is not that clear) just above the area labelled Mabgate but below that labelled Buslingthorpe. I wonder if Newton Beck has any relevance to the queries about becks in the thread?http://www.leodis.net/discovery/show.as ... 369081.jpg    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: The link below should bring up a 'Map of Leeds 1560' that is in the 'Discovering Leeds' section of the Leodis website. The map shows Sheepscar Beck joined by Newton Beck (? Newton as the name is not that clear) just above the area labelled Mabgate but below that labelled Buslingthorpe. I wonder if Newton Beck has any relevance to the queries about becks in the thread?http://www.leodis.net/discovery/show.as ... 369081.jpg     I suspect Newton beck is a very old term applied to the Gipton beck when it pased through the Newtown area, which no longer really exists. The Gipton beck emerges at the back of the Newtown picture house.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: The link below should bring up a 'Map of Leeds 1560' that is in the 'Discovering Leeds' section of the Leodis website. The map shows Sheepscar Beck joined by Newton Beck (? Newton as the name is not that clear) just above the area labelled Mabgate but below that labelled Buslingthorpe. I wonder if Newton Beck has any relevance to the queries about becks in the thread?http://www.leodis.net/discovery/show.as ... 369081.jpg     I suspect Newton beck is a very old term applied to the Gipton beck when it pased through the Newtown area, which no longer really exists. The Gipton beck emerges at the back of the Newtown picture house. Thanks Phill. My hope that there is a secret hidden beck for you to explore has been dashed!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

I was down at stansfeld's metal place on buslingthorpe lane this morning.There having some building work done round the back and theres water pi$$ing out all over the joint.So i gets talking to this guy who mentioned that in the woods at there used to be an old beck running through that they had re-directed into the sewers.anyway the building works up-skittled all this and now the becks once again running wild lol.So is this another one for the list or what?ps/ i also checked up on the two lads. There still there,hanging on the wall looking as miserable as ever. None too similar to this= I took a quick snap on my phone but i had to take it in james bond under cover mode so its come out a little bit shady.    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I suspect Newton beck is a very old term applied to the Gipton beck when it pased through the Newtown area, which no longer really exists. The Gipton beck emerges at the back of the Newtown picture house. Newtown - although the name is not in common use now it has not been forgotten.A recent map from LCC outlining new proposedparking restrictions around 'Jimmys'based on OS map still shows Newtown as a district.Roughly the area bounded by Dolly lane,Beckett st Lincoln green rd etc.Born and brought up in Newtown Burmantofts to us was always the other side of Beckett St.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.