Underground Mabgate.

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It just goes to show how things get covered all over the place on S.L.It seems the Stoney rock beck has been mentioned before. http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... sage=50I'm going to read that and see what can be found out.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've just took this screen grab from our video. You can see the Stoney Rock beck is still flowing into the Ladywell beck. On closer inspection you can see the Stoney rock outfall was in the open here at one time. The cast iron beam was added at a later date and put underground.This is just before the dog leg section. I can only think the small outfall/goit water supply came from this stream as well. I think the puzzle is finally solved (Although i'd be intrigued to know where the Stoney beck originates exactly.     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Just shows how you can be easily blinded concentrating on one thing - completely missed that too when looking at the old map.Have another look though, thestream originally in question does seem to start close to the present flyover and looks as though it runs into Stoney Rock beck before reaching Lady Beck.Follow Stoney rock Beck further north and it seems to start just south of Harehills Lane very close to Park Pit ( another new one on me) - wonder if there is similar conection there to ones we've seen with streama adjacent to other pits -drainage water for example?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: Just shows how you can be easily blinded concentrating on one thing - completely missed that too when looking at the old map.Have another look though, thestream originally in question does seem to start close to the present flyover and looks as though it runs into Stoney Rock beck before reaching Lady Beck.Follow Stoney rock Beck further north and it seems to start just south of Harehills Lane very close to Park Pit ( another new one on me) - wonder if there is similar conection there to ones we've seen with streama adjacent to other pits -drainage water for example? Yes i'm going to study those maps a little more (but for now it's waaaaay past bed time) I'm just surprised how an entire stream is today totally hidden. If it wasn't for the outfall on my screen grab, there is nil evidence, or trace of it. Even the streams starting point is a complete mystery. It's well and truly a forgotten water course of Leeds.        

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

jim wrote: Looking at this thread again reinforces the idea that past industry was always at its most prevalent where water was freely available, whether it was for power or for process. This concept is exceptionally borne out within the area we are looking at, and it is probable that there will be connections of this type with the details that puzzle us.On a slightly off-topic note, does anyone know the reason why further up the beck in the Meanwood Road/Buslingthorpe Lane area there was such a preponderance of leather-related industry? I am sure there must be a reason or collection of reasons for this concentration of a single industry type, but can't see it for the life of me. The water is of course important, but I feel there must be more.I have a particular interest in that my paternal ancestors lived in the immediate area, and several of them worked in that group of trades. All i can say Jim is the water supply of the Meanwood beck is the reason.As a rule of thumb the South of Leeds was the heavy industrial area. Engineering, and such. To the North it was mainly woolen & Textiles. I guess it would make sense (land permitting) to group similar places together. Transport, and Deliveries e.t.c.    Also the Meanwood & Hol beck had a 'becks comitee' who built it and managed it for the greatest power supply. Maintenance e.t.c. The industries used 'Leat gates' to feed there own Mill ponds, waterwheels e.t.c.        

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Phill. I was thinking along the lines of dissolved minerals, contaminants etc - or maybe absolute purity - which might have been relevant to the processes involved in tanningIn the early 1950s I lived close to the Wortley Beck, which starts as Cockersdale, Pudsey Beck, and Troydale. It eventually becomes the Holbeck. Through Lower Wortley it had a heavy concentration of ironstone, and an even heavier level of pollution from the various dyeworks in Troydale. It seemed to run a different colour every day. Almost certainly not good for some purposes!There is also the possibility that access to some raw material needed for tanning is involved.I am hoping someone with knowledge of leather tanning can put me right.    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

How about originally it was because of the Sulphur spring (needed for dye stuff in clothing manufacture) that was along there?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 6_39652651

jim

Post by jim »

Sounds good Phill. I've just recalled that one of my band colleagues used to be a chemist at one of said leather works. I'll ask her what she thinks next time we meet.Incidentally, I count eight leather related works plus a glue works (which used tannery by- products) in the area round the becks immediate surroundings to the north-west of the North Street - Meanwood Road junction on the 1906 Godfrey maps of the area.    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Stoney Rock beck is culverted down Stoney Rock Lane and then turns sharp right just after the schools and heads in a straight line down Lincoln Rreen Road, entering Ladybeck under the bridgethe other beck Phil refers rises outside the Harp (?) on Cromwell street, and is culverted passing down the south side of the pub and follows the course, as suggested, shown by the property boundaries. Once over McAulay street it heads North West, following the straight woolen factory bounday, under Mabgate and down the side of today's cafe, entering Lady beck north of the dog leg. I think this is the outlet Phil has identified as the Stoney Beck outlet. It's quite possible the two becks were once one and the same? I'm not to familiar with the lay of the land around there.There's no dates on the records indicating when the culverting was done. Nothing's shown for the mystery room.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Stoney Rock beck is culverted down Stoney Rock Lane and then turns sharp right just after the schools and heads in a straight line down Lincoln Rreen Road, entering Ladybeck under the bridgethe other beck Phil refers rises outside the Harp (?) on Cromwell street, and is culverted passing down the south side of the pub and follows the course, as suggested, shown by the property boundaries. Once over McAulay street it heads North West, following the straight woolen factory bounday, under Mabgate and down the side of today's cafe, entering Lady beck north of the dog leg. I think this is the outlet Phil has identified as the Stoney Beck outlet. It's quite possible the two becks were once one and the same? I'm not to familiar with the lay of the land around there.There's no dates on the records indicating when the culverting was done. Nothing's shown for the mystery room.     Wonderful Cardie - can you confirm that north west is correct - that might be slightly uphill but I'm not sure.