Underground Mabgate.

Places to explore
Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Phil,just wait for the master of maps,Si,to materialise. Whoosh!!!Someone called?Here's the 1847 map showing a tantalising glimpse of the beck as it passes in and out of the map's edge. The kink is too far north, unfortunately.         
Attachments
__TFMF_prvo3lqbmpyk1i45d1kzvt55_6cf37a4f-abaf-44b1-8573-a4ee65ed357f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_prvo3lqbmpyk1i45d1kzvt55_6cf37a4f-abaf-44b1-8573-a4ee65ed357f_0_main.jpg (196.07 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Si. I was under the impression that the dog-leg that Phill was referring to was that further north than Hope Road, that more or less due east of Imperial Street. If not what I had to say is totally irrelevant and I must retire red-faced! Perhaps Phill will adjudicate on this one.

Si

Post by Si »

jim wrote: Hi Si. I was under the impression that the dog-leg that Phill was referring to was that further north than Hope Road, that more or less due east of Imperial Street. If not what I had to say is totally irrelevant and I must retire red-faced! Perhaps Phill will adjudicate on this one. Hi Jim. I figured it out and edited my post accordingly! The red face is mine!

jim

Post by jim »

Thank goodness for that Si, I was having palpitations there for a moment! Any chance of you posting the appropriate sections of Godfrey 1906, Netlam and Francis Giles, and Rapkin?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Where have you been hiding Mr Si?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Si

Post by Si »

jim wrote: Thank goodness for that Si, I was having palpitations there for a moment! Any chance of you posting the appropriate sections of Godfrey 1906, Netlam and Francis Giles, and Rapkin? Chemimike posted the Godfrey 1906 map earlier, Jim. As for the others, I don't have them!

Si

Post by Si »

Brandy wrote: Where have you been hiding Mr Si? Hello Mr B. I've been busy the last few weeks as I started a new job recently (at last!) Years ago, I used to art direct ads for Mars bars - now I stack them on shelves!!! I enjoy it though - a lot less pressure!    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I'm a little more clued up on this one now. It seems the beck ran this meandearing, and dog logged course to fit in with what was there originally. It was very tight for space inbetween the mills, and factories around Mabgate. There still are some iron pillars under, and around the Skinner lane bridge. It was obvious they carried something in the old days. I'm rather surprised to see it was a decent size building fronting onto Skinner lane connecting the Margarine factory.Under Skinner lane bridge. The props are still there today.Looking from under Skinner lane bridge towards the dog leg section.The Margarine factory to the left. The tall building ahead straddled the beck. Behind that building is Skinner lane.A little further down towards the dog leg section...........................These old maps and Leodis archives are great for placing yesterdays buildings into todays world.The beck runs in the open for a short section near the New Roscoe pub. The remains of the old building that stood there have been left to act as a parapet wall for the beck. I've often wondered what stood on that small pocket of land. It's great to find out with a little research Number 17 Cross Stamford street back in it's rightful place some 30-40 years after it was demolished. A Bentley,s Invisible Mending Service. Next, grocers and sweet shop at 19, business of Johnson and Openshaw. A poster to the right of the shop advertises 'Sunblest' bread.        Both shots 1959.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

My turn for an oops Si, I completely forgot Chemimikes post.As to the other two maps, I think my Otley passport is still valid, would you be happy upload from my copies if we were to arrange another natter? I have added a non-identifying e -mail address on my profile if you don't still have the other one and prefer to make arrangements thus.

Si

Post by Si »

jim wrote: My turn for an oops Si, I completely forgot Chemimikes post.As to the other two maps, I think my Otley passport is still valid, would you be happy upload from my copies if we were to arrange another natter? I have added a non-identifying e -mail address on my profile if you don't still have the other one and prefer to make arrangements thus. Hi Jim. Good idea. I might be able to make Friday lunchtime at the Junction. I'll let you know for sure in due course.