Underground Mabgate.

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Yup down the side of Mabgate mills, it's straight down hill and then pretty flat.    It's the bitt between Cromwell Street and Nippet Lane that I'm unclear about. It may have once joined but that area has been very redeveloped. I'll have a look at the old maps and see if the building lines suggest anything.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Yup down the side of Mabgate mills, it's straight down hill and then pretty flat.    It's the bitt between Cromwell Street and Nippet Lane that I'm unclear about. It may have once joined but that area has been very redeveloped. I'll have a look at the old maps and see if the building lines suggest anything. Cheers Cardie, fits with Phil's thoughts, just seemed a little alien going that way

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: Yup down the side of Mabgate mills, it's straight down hill and then pretty flat.    It's the bitt between Cromwell Street and Nippet Lane that I'm unclear about. It may have once joined but that area has been very redeveloped. I'll have a look at the old maps and see if the building lines suggest anything. Yes thanks for the definitive story of where Stoney Rock Beck is!!gathering all the evidence and maps it seems that a small beck from the east ran down what is Torre Road and larger one from north west ran down what is stoney rock lane converging at the nippets.Now I'd have thought if this went on to discharge into Lady Beck then Phill would have seen water - but I understand he didn't see much at all??What do you think?? Would all the mines and clay pits dug round there affect the water flows??????

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

The Parksider wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Yup down the side of Mabgate mills, it's straight down hill and then pretty flat.    It's the bitt between Cromwell Street and Nippet Lane that I'm unclear about. It may have once joined but that area has been very redeveloped. I'll have a look at the old maps and see if the building lines suggest anything. Yes thanks for the definitive story of where Stoney Rock Beck is!!gathering all the evidence and maps it seems that a small beck from the east ran down what is Torre Road and larger one from north west ran down what is stoney rock lane converging at the nippets.Now I'd have thought if this went on to discharge into Lady Beck then Phill would have seen water - but I understand he didn't see much at all??What do you think?? Would all the mines and clay pits dug round there affect the water flows?????? Hi Parksider. Yes you can see water from the Stoney beck empties into the Lady beck hereThat area is only 50 yards away from the room/dried up goit i was asking about. I presume a channel will have fed into there from the Stoney beck. I assume it was no longer needed and blocked off.I also think the stream from the Torres/Lupton Ave will have connected with the Stoney beck (As i'm sure Cardiarms will be able to confirm for us too)            
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is all fascinating stuff of which I hope to read more. I have a book titled 'Underground London' (published in 1861) by John Hollingshead that starts "This book contains an account, more or less readable, of most things belonging to "Underground London," particularly of the mechanism of sewers, and of the water and gas supply...I have waded many miles through old and new London sewers...". That sounds just like what I imagine Phill does for fun!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There's no culverted water course down Torre road, just a large combined sewer which would take the flow to Knostrop.I did find this on Leodis. Could be to do with the water course/sewer but it's a bit unclear what they are doing:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

On the 1908 map you can, with a little imagination, trace a line through the properties from Cromwell Street to Beckett Street/Accommodation Road. Not sure if it's just a fanciful stringing together of outside lavs.    

beast

Post by beast »

Cardiarms wrote: Can't see the pic on my pda but IIRC on the streams and culverts thread I put something about a surface water sewer that runs into the beck arouind here. hopefully a few of us are doing our underground tour in a week or two. I've been told its easier to go upstream from the tunnel at Clarence dock/Armouries and head up to Sheepscar/Meanwood.Had a look the other day and access to the tunnel at Armouries looks easy enough.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

beast wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Can't see the pic on my pda but IIRC on the streams and culverts thread I put something about a surface water sewer that runs into the beck arouind here. hopefully a few of us are doing our underground tour in a week or two. I've been told its easier to go upstream from the tunnel at Clarence dock/Armouries and head up to Sheepscar/Meanwood.Had a look the other day and access to the tunnel at Armouries looks easy enough. I think Secret Leeds admin had to delete similar type photos, and comments stating the same thing after the Emergency services were called out. The Firebrigade were less than amused at having to attend the panic phone calls of onlookers witnessing kids try the same thing.Access at Clarence dock is not what you do. Dropping off the edge of a river in full public view isn't recommended.            
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

beast wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Can't see the pic on my pda but IIRC on the streams and culverts thread I put something about a surface water sewer that runs into the beck arouind here. hopefully a few of us are doing our underground tour in a week or two. I've been told its easier to go upstream from the tunnel at Clarence dock/Armouries and head up to Sheepscar/Meanwood.Had a look the other day and access to the tunnel at Armouries looks easy enough. Please take Phil's comments in the spirit they are intended - purely the interests of safety. We mean no disrespect to you and whilst it may be you are quite experienced as indeed I know Phil to be, it is the case that many people here are not and we try to take care that we are not seen to encourage iresponsible acts.Having said that, if you make the trip, I'm sure people here would be pleased to see a different slant on the place to add to the collection - all we ask is that you bear in mind how some may view the things you can do as being safe and simple when they could lead to problems for the unwary.Enjoy the journey