Underground Mabgate.

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Brandy wrote: I was down at stansfeld's metal place on buslingthorpe lane this morning.There having some building work done round the back and theres water pi$$ing out all over the joint.So i gets talking to this guy who mentioned that in the woods at there used to be an old beck running through that they had re-directed into the sewers.anyway the building works up-skittled all this and now the becks once again running wild lol.So is this another one for the list or what? Earlier this year, while having a snoop around there I noticed a discharge into the beck from a pipe on the northside, roughly where the field next to the substation is (old tannery site I think). It was dry weather yet there was quite a flow going and it’s not on our records so I reported it, not that anything appears to have been done. Could be the same.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Cardiarms wrote: Earlier this year, while having a snoop around there I noticed a discharge into the beck from a pipe on the northside, roughly where the field next to the substation is (old tannery site I think). It was dry weather yet there was quite a flow going and it’s not on our records so I reported it, not that anything appears to have been done. Could be the same. unless it's a leaking watermain?    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Could be but again nothing on the records, hardest ones to find!In the early 90's Northumbrian Water found an uncapped 6" victorian cast iron main running under Town Moor ensuring some very lush grass.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

PC - Dublin wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Earlier this year, while having a snoop around there I noticed a discharge into the beck from a pipe on the northside, roughly where the field next to the substation is (old tannery site I think). It was dry weather yet there was quite a flow going and it’s not on our records so I reported it, not that anything appears to have been done. Could be the same. unless it's a leaking watermain?     Yep, you cant take that Dennis anywhere    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

STICKS

Post by STICKS »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Has anyone got an old map of the Mabgate area to help solve this question i have pls?I'm interested to find out what mill (or industrial building) stood where i've marked goit on the aerial image here.The beck runs underground at that point. I've marked in blue where the beck runs in the open either side of the underground section, the underground section is marked in white. You can see the beck does a sharp 90 degree turn right for a short distance, then another 90 degree turn left to run under ground. An offshoot type chamber/goit is marked in white, a smaller feed ran into it from the Stoney rock direction. You can see the area in question on our video if you zoom to 04.40 mins herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cecu5kyUf2MIt would be interesting to find out what it was about in the olden days.All help is much appreciated.Cheers          I am interested myself on some of the stretch you could see rain gullys abouve but most of it was just running water in a culvert what and why was this done ? this has got me thinking the you tube was very interesting ,can anyone else through some more ideas on this

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: I was down at stansfeld's metal place on buslingthorpe lane this morning.There having some building work done round the back and theres water pi$$ing out all over the joint.So i gets talking to this guy who mentioned that in the woods at there used to be an old beck running through that they had re-directed into the sewers.anyway the building works up-skittled all this and now the becks once again running wild lol.So is this another one for the list or what?ps/ i also checked up on the two lads. There still there,hanging on the wall looking as miserable as ever. None too similar to this= I took a quick snap on my phone but i had to take it in james bond under cover mode so its come out a little bit shady.     Didn't Parksider mention this somwhere too Brandy?