The culvert on Mabgate

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

And it does fill up from thisto thisAnd another misconception is that you would see all those great colours, and textures you see on the photos in the tunnels. You won't. It really is pitch black in reality.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: beast wrote: been fascinating looking through the pics. and video of the underground tunnels.I'd love to have a look through them myself , anyone on here up for it sometime ? I assume its not really private property and you would'nt get into bother for tresspassing ??? I have seen the man hole covers to the beck blow off at the bottom of Meanwood road, and the corner of Sheepscar during heavy rain. Has anyone else notice how badly that area floods?Rememember those ruined cars, and the damage a few years ago in that area?All i can say to you mate is take a look at this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQqvsU08n0It's a sobering thought to think that steady flow of water you see on those pics, will soon fill those tunnels to the top during a heavy down pour. There's enough power to do that!It's always wise to know the full story, especially in Summer, we can get some epic storms from nowhere e.t.c      Just to add to your warning about "epic storms from nowhere". At about 16:00 on July 30 2002 a sudden monsoon-like storm hit parts of Leeds. Where I am within moments King Lane in front of the then still open Alwoodley Motors was seriously flooded. A massive surge of water was also flowing down the normally quiet little stream that runs under the road there. As that stream runs into Adel Beck (which soon becomes Meanwood Beck) then it is highly likely that the tunnels would rapidly and suddenly have been flooded and anyone inside would probably have had no chance of surviving. To give an idea of the flooding I shall try to post an image in another message, but as I've never managed to post an image previously I doubt I will succeed this time!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is my attempt to post the image (one of a number that I took during the monsoon-like event on July 30 2002). This scene happened within moments of the storm starting.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote: This is my attempt to post the image (one of a number that I took during the monsoon-like event on July 30 2002). This scene happened within moments of the storm starting. No surprise there that my attempt at posting an image failed! I follow the instructions on posting images but always fail. It was only a small size image at 94KB and was a JPEG one. Ah well, my photos will remain secret!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

E-mail it to me or one of the other guys to post for you if you like Leodian. My e-mail is [email protected]
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's Leodians flooding pic.I'll let him put the details on     Here's the nearest comparison shot you can get from Google street view.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks to Phill for posting the image of the flood that I was unable to post (see the messages to the end of page 1). As I said in an earlier post the image is just to illustrate how quickly water can flood (here within a very few minutes of the start of a monsoon-like electrical storm on July 30 2002 that began at about 16:00 and ended at about 16:30). Part of a small wall at Nanny Bridge where a normally quiet steam runs under King Lane at the now derelict Alwoodley Motors is visible. The stream runs into Adel Beck which is the early part of Meanwood Beck, which would have probably drowned anyone that had been in a tunnel section. As I know from when I used to go caving and potholing be very aware of the weather, but even then things can change unexpectedly rapidly.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

That's no probs Leodian.It just goes to show the dramatic change in 30 minutes. That's frightening

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Just as an aside to flooding I wonder how far upstream the tunnels have flooded when the River Aire is in full flood, as it must surely be able to reach into the tunnels at times. I have this mental image of some poor soul being washed out of the Aire and the body being found at Golden Acre Park!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Just as an aside to flooding I wonder how far upstream the tunnels have flooded when the River Aire is in full flood, as it must surely be able to reach into the tunnels at times. I have this mental image of some poor soul being washed out of the Aire and the body being found at Golden Acre Park! The Aire has risen above the height of the culverts before now. I'll see if i can find some pics. The water in the Meanwood culvert just backs up really, It can't escape. Even if you look at the culvert outfall when the river is low, you can see the tunnel is easily breached.