Burley Beck - anyone know of it?`

Places to explore
Scaz

Post by Scaz »

Looking at the thread Cardiarms mentioned, I'd guess that there were several becks running down this way. The Burley Village route looks likely for this though so I think I'll have a look at that shaft at the end of Graham Mt being as it's been pretty dry over the last few weeks. Also, I'd hazard a guess that it was a spur from the stream on Cardigan road that Cardiarms mentions in that thread. I'm not sure where it would go after Burley Road mind, as the land starts to flatten out shortly after, but near the Cardigan Arms seems possible. Given that the Foot and Mouth document from 1883 uses Burley Beck as a reference, I'd presume it's mentioned on maps as well. If anyone's got a map from that time would they mind having a look? Failing that I might see what the reference library and Waterstones can reveal.Callum.

Scaz

Post by Scaz »

Well I shoved my head down that brick shaft on Friday night and sure enough there was a healthy stream at the bottom. I don't mean healthy in terms of it being good for you - it's likely full of sewage - but in terms of quantity it sounded decent, especially given that it had barely rained for a couple of weeks.If anyone's interested it's at the end of Graham Mount, just before the fenced off bit where the building work is going on (another 4 storeys of flats), just to the right. It's a square, metal manhole cover and some well equipped soul might like to look down it some day.Anyhow, I'll get round to looking at some maps at some point and see if I can pin its route down definitively.Callum.    

Spackler

Post by Spackler »

I have no idea if this is of any use but the previous landlord of The Highland told me an underground stream ran under the cellar there