Leeds Railway Station's 'Lost World'

Places to explore
jim

Post by jim »

Yes please--and thanks.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

jim wrote: Hi Jim,have noted number and removed it.At work tomoz,willring when i cancnosni     .
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

The number is still visible on Chameleon's comment. Needs removing from there too, I think.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Dalehelms wrote: The number is still visible on Chameleon's comment. Needs removing from there too, I think. Dealt with, cnosni got there first - easy to miss repeats in quoted messages though    

jim

Post by jim »

Cnosni, I believe I can now positively identify the "white building" in Cardiarms' posted 1890s City Square photo. It is the Leed City New parcels office which contained the steps down to Bishopgate Street, and which survived until the mid-1960s rebuilding of the station. The replacement steps are in the "rotunda" building which is currently closed off for alteration or repair, and has been the control centre for taxi services.For confirmation, please enter "Bishopgate Street" into Leodis, and take a look at pictures numbers 15 and 17. Picture 32 shows the "rotunda", and picture 49 lets us see the eastern curved face of the parcels office, although the "white" face is obscured by the extension of the old Queens Hotel, this existing from c1907 (on 1909 OS but not on 1906 OS) until the mid-1930s new Queens Hotel replaced it.Other views of interest can be found in Pixton and Hooper's "Leeds Termini" (Challenger UK, 198 pps 57 and 60--although I needed a watchmaker's glass for the aerial view on p57!I do not propose to carry on the discussion on the other building that I confused with this one on this thread, as it is seriously off-topic, but if Cnosni would care to contact me I have much material to talk over and perhaps agree what and under what heading to post.

jim

Post by jim »

Don't know how the emoticon got in, I've never used one in my life! It should read .....(Challenger UK 198........Oops again, I suppose.......

jim

Post by jim »

.......1988.........(don't close bracket Jim, it doesn't like you!)

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jim wrote: .......1988.........(don't close bracket Jim, it doesn't like you!) You got it Jim 8 ) together is the code for !The list of others is in tech help and general chat too I think

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks very much Chameleon, but I prefer not to emote in public..............I think that's what I mean..........

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

jim wrote: Cnosni, I believe I can now positively identify the "white building" in Cardiarms' posted 1890s City Square photo. It is the Leed City New parcels office which contained the steps down to Bishopgate Street, and which survived until the mid-1960s rebuilding of the station. The replacement steps are in the "rotunda" building which is currently closed off for alteration or repair, and has been the control centre for taxi services.For confirmation, please enter "Bishopgate Street" into Leodis, and take a look at pictures numbers 15 and 17. Picture 32 shows the "rotunda", and picture 49 lets us see the eastern curved face of the parcels office, although the "white" face is obscured by the extension of the old Queens Hotel, this existing from c1907 (on 1909 OS but not on 1906 OS) until the mid-1930s new Queens Hotel replaced it.Other views of interest can be found in Pixton and Hooper's "Leeds Termini" (Challenger UK, 198 pps 57 and 60--although I needed a watchmaker's glass for the aerial view on p57!I do not propose to carry on the discussion on the other building that I confused with this one on this thread, as it is seriously off-topic, but if Cnosni would care to contact me I have much material to talk over and perhaps agree what and under what heading to post. Hi JimSorry i havent contacted you but im in the bleary world of nasty early shifts.Spot on with the id of the building,it really goes to show just how easy it is to let current street layouts dictate how you interpret old pics.Shame you werent around when we were trying to work out whats what on the skulls thread.As for being off topic im not sos sure,that building occupied where the current station is now,personally id say its pretty valid
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]