Leeds City centre tunnel air vents!

Places to explore
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: I'm wondering if 'tunnel' is something of a misnomer here, conjures up images of somerthing akin to Marsh Lane. It seems likely that this will be little more than a large constructional duct not unlike a small sewer.At that time, transmission voltages were probably much lower that today meaning larger cables carrying power at higher currents. This is inefficient and does result in greater energy losses in the form of heat, which would give rise to the need for vents, with convection circulating the air to keep temperatures down. I'm not sure aout this Chameleon. The quote on hidden Leeds by the guy who says he's been down there/worked for the electric board says there are several looked doors, and blocked off passages down there, if it's true what he says. Then i guess the tunnels would be a good height.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Ay ideas when the Whitehall road power station was demolished guys! I've seen pics of it standing in 1980.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Ay ideas when the Whitehall road power station was demolished guys! I've seen pics of it standing in 1980. It was definately gone by 1990 (apart from a section of the wall that fronted onto the area where the Novotel is now). So that means sometime in the 1980's - a very narrow time frame for this website!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

raveydavey wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Ay ideas when the Whitehall road power station was demolished guys! I've seen pics of it standing in 1980. It was definately gone by 1990 (apart from a section of the wall that fronted onto the area where the Novotel is now). So that means sometime in the 1980's - a very narrow time frame for this website! Thanks Ravey... I'm sure someone will have the date spot on on here.Cheers

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Ay ideas when the Whitehall road power station was demolished guys! I've seen pics of it standing in 1980. It was definately gone by 1990 (apart from a section of the wall that fronted onto the area where the Novotel is now). So that means sometime in the 1980's - a very narrow time frame for this website! I aw an article earlier which said two of the original engines (latterly used to circulate water rather than drive the genys) were 'held on standby until their removal for preservation in 1992'.    

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

It was used as a training school for the C.E.G.B.I went to the "closing down Sale" 1988 or 89.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

Leeds Market sub station, ever wondered what was in there, well two story has you can see the by the height of the buildingtop story empty apart for spiders and webs, photo
Attachments
__TFMF_lk22aa55bnziep45bu4zdyfh_52afbd95-5c71-4478-bc44-114b55a9066e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lk22aa55bnziep45bu4zdyfh_52afbd95-5c71-4478-bc44-114b55a9066e_0_main.jpg (841.76 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
biggee

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

down stairs just two transformers photo looking towards market
Attachments
__TFMF_lk22aa55bnziep45bu4zdyfh_53d4ec5e-d47a-42a1-82be-d59e0aa43bd7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lk22aa55bnziep45bu4zdyfh_53d4ec5e-d47a-42a1-82be-d59e0aa43bd7_0_main.jpg (63.16 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
biggee

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I can't really get what this substation is all abouthttp://snipurl.com/und5d     Firstly, apologies for coming to this thread so late in the day.Having taken a close look at this building I very much doubt it was built as an electricity sub station, having been converted well into its life from another use.My reasons for this are such - take a look around the other sidehttp://goo.gl/maps/tt3UThere is yet another filled in doorway, surely thats too many for a building purpose built for a sub station, the doorway with the double louvered doors that are painted brown and in use today is almost certainly non original, having been made at a much later date, look above the door, there is no stone lintel, suggesting a more modern form of support, perhaps a steel, hidden lintel. The building itself has indeed been cut back and was once a connecting building between the hotel and the south wall of Wellington St station, forming the station courtyard with what is now the small car park of the hotel building - accessable only from Wellington St.I believe the doorway concreted over was the original enterance to what may have been a small office area and the double doors may well have been a window opening onto Whitehall Rd, I think this may have been enlarged as a means of moving all the relevent switch gear and transformers in when it took on a new lease of life.I believe the door on the Wellington Rd side would have been the exit out into the station forecourt, which leads me to believe it may have been some sort of small goods office or something similarAs for the doorway facing city square, well I have a feeling that, as suggested elsewhere, it was a direct opening to a basement enterence, with steps behind it, hence the small window along side, incidentally, the ironwork appears not to be a fall pipe but a cast iron pillar, perhaps placed there to support the falling stonework above this doorway.The bracing that appears on the Whitehall Rd side of this building is repeated on the Wellington St side of the building and I suspect this was damage caused when the new double doors were put in to convert it to a sub station, i would also guess this caused the subsidence that required the column putting in the doorway around the side.Look closely at the cracks and mis-aligned stone work on both the face and the end of the building.