Bus, crane, crash, copper, subway!

Places to explore
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Seen clearly on the cover of this book.
Attachments
__TFMF_q4zdl555nhba5z4512bxvb45_cc248df0-a9c4-46ee-a4a5-2063a3c59b6d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_q4zdl555nhba5z4512bxvb45_cc248df0-a9c4-46ee-a4a5-2063a3c59b6d_0_main.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Moved to this - one that PJ couldn't find -PJUser location: LeedsJoined on: 07-Sep-2007 12:57:21Posted: 52 posts # Posted on: 07-Oct-2011 13:16:09.    Edit | Quote Can't recall where it is on here but there was much debate around the toilets/subway at the end of Briggate.Came across this on Leodis today.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 6_33991641    

jim

Post by jim »

Had a quick look through the recently published "Leeds Trams 1871-1959" and found three or four photos of the centre of the road entrance to the toilets. To my surprise, the steps down were entered from the north in the 1950s - yet the photo on page 16 shows only a south facing set of steps some yards nearer the Boar Lane junction. The picture is undated, but both trams to be seen are open-topped, without vestibules, and the shelters in the middle of the road are conspicuous by their absence. These facts, coupled with the clothing styles to be seen worn by the people depicted make me suspect a pre-1914 date.The book I mention is full of photos of interest to Secret Leedsers, sorry I still haven't got as far as the art of posting pictures or I would put some up - I'm sure some kind soul will do the neccessary.

Si

Post by Si »

jim wrote: The book I mention is full of photos of interest to Secret Leedsers, sorry I still haven't got as far as the art of posting pictures or I would put some up - I'm sure some kind soul will do the neccessary. Hi Jim. Do you have the necessary know-how to attach them to an e-mail and send them to me? I'll happily put them on here for you.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jim wrote: Had a quick look through the recently published "Leeds Trams 1871-1959" and found three or four photos of the centre of the road entrance to the toilets. To my surprise, the steps down were entered from the north in the 1950s - yet the photo on page 16 shows only a south facing set of steps some yards nearer the Boar Lane junction. There is a simple explanation to the north/south entrances Jim. The north entrances were to the old original toilets (without a connecting subway I imagine) dating from the end of the 1800s. The south entrances were to the new subway and toilets built to replace them and did allow you cross Briggate down below.TIME NOW TO HANG HEAD IN SHAME - I've just realised that I never thanked the several kind wellwishers who sent encouragement when I had my cataracts done last year in March and June. Both were wonderful results thanks folks, enabling me for the first time in many years to drive without glasses which I now need only for reading - nowt short of a miracle I reckon.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Si, still not got that far I'm afraid! I will see if I can get across sometime, if you don't mind being pesteredHi Blakey, I'm afraid I haven't made myself clear. The south facing steps I describe were in the centre of the road, south of the 1950s steps, and appear in a photo that I date to before World War One. I do remember both the 1950s steps and the later subway arrangement with two sets of steps from the side footpaths, and can assure you that neither of these is what I refer to.    

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Jim. When can you make it over?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

jim wrote: Hi Si, still not got that far I'm afraid! I will see if I can get across sometime, if you don't mind being pesteredHi Blakey, I'm afraid I haven't made myself clear. The south facing steps I describe were in the centre of the road, south of the 1950s steps, and appear in a photo that I date to before World War One. I do remember both the 1950s steps and the later subway arrangement with two sets of steps from the side footpaths, and can assure you that neither of these is what I refer to.     http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 5_73737735
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

jim

Post by jim »

My thanks for posting that Chrism. The building behind the horse tram with rows of eight upper floor windows and the building to its right with three upper floor windows are present in all pictures I have seen dating from the 1900s to the early 1950s. These two buildings were immediately south of Woolworths in the 1940s/50s and thus show the east side of Briggate and confirm that the toilet steps faced south at the time the photo Chrism posted was taken.    

Si

Post by Si »

See you at 1, Jim.