Bus, crane, crash, copper, subway!

Places to explore
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

jim wrote: I always thought that the toilet facility was in the same "space" but refurbished and accessed from the opposite end that was used from the later subway? Could easily be wrong, it's a long time ago. They probably were in the same "space" jimhttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
toilets briggate.jpg 2.jpg
toilets briggate.jpg 2.jpg (86.83 KiB) Viewed 2412 times

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: stutterdog wrote: uncle mick wrote: Another pic of the subway toilets on Briggate This is NOT the toilets at the junction of Briggate and Boar Ln! This must be the new subway built many years later! The toilets were near the little kiosk on the photo. I can vividly remember the toilets but cannot for the life of me remember the subway!     With respect stutterdog I think the camera angle is playing tricks here - the "second generation" toilets were in the modern subway shown, and the subway entrance on the west side of Briggate was much nearer the kiosk than this picture suggests. There were some really grotty old toilets before this, entrance in the middle of Briggate. Mind you, the ones in this subway were grotty too to say the least, and the subway itself was often affected by water and was very dodgy. Sorry Blakey, you are right of course. On further inspection of the picture it does seem I was confused by the angle of the photo. I can't however recall the subway. I do remember the "checkers" office and spent many hours waiting for driver reliefs here to go on the Moortown-Dewsbury Rd services, usually with trepidation, knowing I was going to be very busy for the next 4 and a half hours or so!
ex-Armley lad

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

stutterdog wrote: I do remember the "checkers" office and spent many hours waiting for driver reliefs here to go on the Moortown-Dewsbury Rd services, usually with trepidation, knowing I was going to be very busy for the next 4 and a half hours or so! Must digress here a little as that's reminded me of a hilarious episode I once had at that very spot.I was sent from Headingley to do a notorious "spare portion" on those services. The waiting conductor (from Sovereign Street) was a newly recruited middle aged man who, it was soon apparent, was terrified of doing any work. Having established that I was to be his driver he said "Do you know this road ?" I replied "Oh yes, very well." His next remark was "We throw the running boards away on here you know." Well, that was like a red rag to a bull for me and I replied "Oh no - I always bring a spare copy just in case." At that, his face went whiter than his full head of hair and whiter still when the lumbering PD3 arrived from Dewsbury Road bulging and five minutes late - it was a very busy day. All these years, and I can still remember the times of the notorious portion of work - it was 1050 B/20 until 1410 CX. We arrived still bulging at 1415 and our reluctant colleague fell off the bus, lopsided with heavy money, and slunk off to Sovereign Street without even saying "good afternoon." A couple of days later a young spare driver at Headingley asked me if I had been on that piece on Wednesday - I said I had, and he chuckled and said "I thought it sounded like you because the conductor said to him that he hoped he was a lot faster than that "lanky skinny b****** that I had on Wednesday." The Dewsbury Road - Briggate - Moortown - Harehills - Belle Isle 20/21 "horseshoe" was definitely not for the faint hearted !!         
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: stutterdog wrote: I do remember the "checkers" office and spent many hours waiting for driver reliefs here to go on the Moortown-Dewsbury Rd services, usually with trepidation, knowing I was going to be very busy for the next 4 and a half hours or so! Must digress here a little as that's reminded me of a hilarious episode I once had at that very spot.I was sent from Headingley to do a notorious "spare portion" on those services. The waiting conductor (from Sovereign Street) was a newly recruited middle aged man who, it was soon apparent, was terrified of doing any work. Having established that I was to be his driver he said "Do you know this road ?" I replied "Oh yes, very well." His next remark was "We throw the running boards away on here you know." Well, that was like a red rag to a bull for me and I replied "Oh no - I always bring a spare copy just in case." At that, his face went whiter than his full head of hair and whiter still when the lumbering PD3 arrived from Dewsbury Road bulging and five minutes late - it was a very busy day. All these years, and I can still remember the times of the notorious portion of work - it was 1050 B/20 until 1410 CX. We arrived still bulging at 1415 and our reluctant colleague fell off the bus, lopsided with heavy money, and slunk off to Sovereign Street without even saying "good afternoon." A couple of days later a young spare driver at Headingley asked me if I had been on that piece on Wednesday - I said I had, and he chuckled and said "I thought it sounded like you because the conductor said to him that he hoped he was a lot faster than that "lanky skinny b****** that I had on Wednesday." The Dewsbury Road - Briggate - Moortown - Harehills - Belle Isle 20/21 "horseshoe" was definitely not for the faint hearted !!          Definitely not for the fainted hearted as you say Blakey. When I first passed my bus driving test and was a spare driver out of BG. Once a week there would be a 6am show-up and you could bank on being sent to Middleton Garage to do a split they couldn't cover. Usually it was one that was the worst duty on the rosta! But then they had quite a few of these. I don't wonder that in those far off days they couldn't get people to work out of Middleton as the duties were horrendously busy and the "guard" would take well over £100 on a duty! Happy days! They certainly sorted the men from the boys though!
ex-Armley lad

amber

Post by amber »

First day conducting 1960.sent to Briggate for trip to Moortown massive queue off we went at F1 speed what seemed like 10 minutes later another cdr waiting at stop its mine he said so off i got. I was stood outside Woolworths. How I had got there I did not know and I dare not ask anybody didn't know circulars existed. I did find out before I was a checker in the box .