Bus, crane, crash, copper, subway!

Places to explore
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Oh, sorry no (see what you mean now I've re-read it).No, I was just a 'lil shaver on the single cabs (see 'childhood memory' pic that phill found).As a teenager in 70's I think the building was still there, used to be a chest xray place and beer festivals in there.Not really a side of town you went, though there was a super ex army shop by Mill Hill http://goo.gl/maps/ty2S closed a few years back.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

oops - pic Junction Roper Gr/Denton Ave, a misty smoky hazy day.Lovelyhttp://goo.gl/maps/dHeiThe shop now resi
Attachments
__TFMF_rzf0f2f3sn132jjhu5gltm55_bc033ec4-e9ba-4ef8-8726-6517a5f8df45_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_rzf0f2f3sn132jjhu5gltm55_bc033ec4-e9ba-4ef8-8726-6517a5f8df45_0_main.jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
__TFMF_rzf0f2f3sn132jjhu5gltm55_bc033ec4-e9ba-4ef8-8726-6517a5f8df45_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_rzf0f2f3sn132jjhu5gltm55_bc033ec4-e9ba-4ef8-8726-6517a5f8df45_0_main.jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Jogon wrote: Not really a side of town you went, though there was a super ex army shop by Mill Hill http://goo.gl/maps/ty2S closed a few years back. Do you mean the place that sold communications equipment ?? I used to spend hours gazing in the window at the fascinating bargains even though I had no use at all for most of the "gear."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

>Do you mean the place that sold communications equipment ?? I used to spend hours gazing in the window at the fascinating bargains even though I had no use at all for most of the "gear."<M & B radio moved somewhere else after vacating the arch, they have a website but by the lack of stock I'd say they're not doing much now.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Jogon wrote: Oh, sorry no (see what you mean now I've re-read it).No, I was just a 'lil shaver on the single cabs (see 'childhood memory' pic that phill found).As a teenager in 70's I think the building was still there, used to be a chest xray place and beer festivals in there.Not really a side of town you went, though there was a super ex army shop by Mill Hill http://goo.gl/maps/ty2S closed a few years back. Yes,would frequent this area for years in 70/80's(mainly for Black Lion/Taps/P.O.W.)...that shop was fascinating,think I once bought token pack of batteries in it to have a looksee.Was it what is/was the newsagents,near to that Turkish restaurant place ? Used to go in the QH many,many times.....concerts,beer festivals,even sunday car market where helped sister's boyfriend sell on a few old duffers.The bus stops on Sovereign St.served Huddersfield,Dewsbury,Batley and the like..... back of street opposite where LCT bus depot/shed was,i believe,still cobbled back then.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

This has been on LEODIS for a while (*) but it's the first time I have seen it. It's on the top 50 today.The full detail is at.....http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI don't think it has been included in this up to now.(*) EDIT....Sorry. Maybe not that long. Misread the date on the comment.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Another pic of the subway toilets on Briggate
Attachments
toilets briggate.jpg
toilets briggate.jpg (170.96 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

uncle mick wrote: Another pic of the subway toilets on Briggate This is NOT the toilets at the junction of Briggate and Boar Ln! This must be the new subway built many years later! The toilets were near the little kiosk on the photo. I can vividly remember the toilets but cannot for the life of me remember the subway!    
ex-Armley lad

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

stutterdog wrote: uncle mick wrote: Another pic of the subway toilets on Briggate This is NOT the toilets at the junction of Briggate and Boar Ln! This must be the new subway built many years later! The toilets were near the little kiosk on the photo. I can vividly remember the toilets but cannot for the life of me remember the subway!     With respect stutterdog I think the camera angle is playing tricks here - the "second generation" toilets were in the modern subway shown, and the subway entrance on the west side of Briggate was much nearer the kiosk than this picture suggests. There were some really grotty old toilets before this, entrance in the middle of Briggate. Mind you, the ones in this subway were grotty too to say the least, and the subway itself was often affected by water and was very dodgy.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jim

Post by jim »

I always thought that the toilet facility was in the same "space" but refurbished and accessed from the opposite end that was used from the later subway? Could easily be wrong, it's a long time ago.