Unseen Leeds Documentary

Places to explore
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Geordie-exile wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Shinybiscuit wrote: Well, we aren't doing a full documentary just about the skulls, it will just be a segment, and you'll be surprised at how long even 5 mins is to fill with speech. Just take us through the background, we don't need to know everything, and it should be fine Is there a place with the skulls now, or am I right in thinking they got taken down during some renovations? Yes, they're on a featureless office block just north of the city centre.Here's a precis of the story to save you reading the whole thread:The skulls were in an alley, on the wall of the stables belonging to the (long closed, but still standing) Crown and Fleece pub, which is between the Corn Exchange and the remains of the First White Cloth Hall, Kirkgate. In 1974, they were moved to their present site by the company which used the pub building as their premises. The first written mention of the skulls that we know about, was a 1968 newspaper article which told the story of how, many years ago, two new recruits to the army suffocated in the hay in the Crown and Fleece stables. To commemorate their deaths, the skulls were placed on the wall by persons unknown. Basically, we have been trying to find out if the story is wholly, or partly true, or if not, what is the real source of the carved skulls, and why were they there. Several members of Secret Leeds attempted a campaign to have the skulls replaced, but their current "owners" weren't interested, despite some publicity in the YEP.Even if the newspaper story can't be verified, the skulls are still a piece of Leeds' heritage, however small, and have proved to be (on this forum, at least) an enduring mystery, and deserve (IMO) some sort of publicity. I hate to correct you my Teley loving friend,but we have ad ate of 1892 for the first written mention of the Skulls.Ill see if i can find it on the thread found ithttp://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Messages.as ... e=2150Tasa pinpointed the article,where is she these days? Aw, you missed my brief moment of glory two pages earlier. Yes indeed, where's Tasa. She was a whizz at finding cuttings etc..Was just thinking, if shinybiscuit has access to the Uni library, might be worth him having a bit of a search on it. Oh god of course!!Sorry chicken!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Shinybiscuit

Post by Shinybiscuit »

I'm only allowed access to my uni library - Leeds Trinity, unfortunately.And I'm of the female variety.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Sorry Shinybiscuit! And for referring to you in the third person.    

Shinybiscuit

Post by Shinybiscuit »

No problem

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Shinybiscuit wrote: No problem Female biscuits - suspect your prospetive enterage has just trippled - watch 'em

Loo

Post by Loo »

Hello guys - Im working together with SB on the project. This seems to be quite a close-knit group which is really encouraging. Just so we have a rough idea, who would be interested in going on camera? In actuality, it may be better simply to have a narrative voice explaining the history of the site whilst the camera lets the location speak for itself. A brief interview (to cam) about how you guys got together, what sort of stuff you do, just to put the piece in context would also be nice to have.Its worth noting that we will (hopefully) be filming far more than 10 minutes footage so that we have a lot to play with in editing to produce the best quality cut at the end.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Loo wrote: Hello guys - Im working together with SB on the project. This seems to be quite a close-knit group which is really encouraging. Just so we have a rough idea, who would be interested in going on camera? In actuality, it may be better simply to have a narrative voice explaining the history of the site whilst the camera lets the location speak for itself. A brief interview (to cam) about how you guys got together, what sort of stuff you do, just to put the piece in context would also be nice to have.Its worth noting that we will (hopefully) be filming far more than 10 minutes footage so that we have a lot to play with in editing to produce the best quality cut at the end. ....Only in so much as some have bben around almost from the beginning and perhaps take a pride in what this site has become and can do, anyone is welcome and newcomers always means new thoughts and perspectives.I'm sure gettint together with those who can make it will prove interesting for you.There is just one thing we should clear up - you don't have plans to go work for the YEP do you     

Loo

Post by Loo »

chameleon wrote: Loo wrote: Hello guys - Im working together with SB on the project. This seems to be quite a close-knit group which is really encouraging. Just so we have a rough idea, who would be interested in going on camera? In actuality, it may be better simply to have a narrative voice explaining the history of the site whilst the camera lets the location speak for itself. A brief interview (to cam) about how you guys got together, what sort of stuff you do, just to put the piece in context would also be nice to have.Its worth noting that we will (hopefully) be filming far more than 10 minutes footage so that we have a lot to play with in editing to produce the best quality cut at the end. ....Only in so much as some have bben around almost from the beginning and perhaps take a pride in what this site has become and can do, anyone is welcome and newcomers always means new thoughts and perspectives.I'm sure gettint together with those who can make it will prove interesting for you.There is just one thing we should clear up - you don't have plans to go work for the YEP do you      Haha, I can assure you I have absolutely no intention of working for any regional or local newspaper in the foreseeable future.So... Timing,Im assuming it would be more comfortable for you guys to meet us as a group? Likewise it would be for us. If you would prefer, we can perhaps get together minus equipment, just to discuss the who's what's and where's of what we might include in the film. Or if you're eager, or reasonably sure of what you can share with us we can go right ahead and decide a time in which to film? Myself and SB are reasonably flexible in terms of where and when, so its really up to any amongst you guys who would like to be involved with this.Also, thanks for being so accessible thus far.

Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Shinybiscuit wrote: Well, we aren't doing a full documentary just about the skulls, it will just be a segment, and you'll be surprised at how long even 5 mins is to fill with speech. Just take us through the background, we don't need to know everything, and it should be fine Is there a place with the skulls now, or am I right in thinking they got taken down during some renovations? Yes, they're on a featureless office block just north of the city centre.Here's a precis of the story to save you reading the whole thread:The skulls were in an alley, on the wall of the stables belonging to the (long closed, but still standing) Crown and Fleece pub, which is between the Corn Exchange and the remains of the First White Cloth Hall, Kirkgate. In 1974, they were moved to their present site by the company which used the pub building as their premises. The first written mention of the skulls that we know about, was a 1968 newspaper article which told the story of how, many years ago, two new recruits to the army suffocated in the hay in the Crown and Fleece stables. To commemorate their deaths, the skulls were placed on the wall by persons unknown. Basically, we have been trying to find out if the story is wholly, or partly true, or if not, what is the real source of the carved skulls, and why were they there. Several members of Secret Leeds attempted a campaign to have the skulls replaced, but their current "owners" weren't interested, despite some publicity in the YEP.Even if the newspaper story can't be verified, the skulls are still a piece of Leeds' heritage, however small, and have proved to be (on this forum, at least) an enduring mystery, and deserve (IMO) some sort of publicity. I hate to correct you my Tetley loving friend,but we have a date of 1892 for the first written mention of the Skulls.Ill see if i can find it on the thread found ithttp://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Messages.as ... e=2150Tasa pinpointed the article,where is she these days? Oops! Forgot about that. 1891, I think it is. Rereading that old article, the recruits are very noticable by their absence, aren't they? Mr Radestock also says he has come to a "definite conclusion." Sounds pretty convinced of the skulls' source.PS I don't know what's happened to Tasa.PPS It's Taylor's Landlord these days.    

Si

Post by Si »

Loo wrote: Hello guys - Im working together with SB on the project. This seems to be quite a close-knit group which is really encouraging. Just so we have a rough idea, who would be interested in going on camera? In actuality, it may be better simply to have a narrative voice explaining the history of the site whilst the camera lets the location speak for itself. A brief interview (to cam) about how you guys got together, what sort of stuff you do, just to put the piece in context would also be nice to have.Its worth noting that we will (hopefully) be filming far more than 10 minutes footage so that we have a lot to play with in editing to produce the best quality cut at the end. As they say on Dragon's Den, "I'm in." Anyone else? I'm fairly flexible, time-wise, but Mondays and Wednesdays are out.I'll try not to make any more mistakes!