Unseen Leeds Documentary

Places to explore
Shinybiscuit

Post by Shinybiscuit »

Cardiarms wrote: Don't mention about the Angel being the oldest pub, they may have a strong opinion to express. Ok, I'd hate to rake up old rivalries.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Cardiarms wrote: Don't mention about the Angel being the oldest pub, they may have a strong opinion to express. Think the Angel was shut for circa 70 years,must have been having a refurb

Si

Post by Si »

Shinybiscuit wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: I'd be happy to speak about the skulls. Anyone else want to join me? Chris, Drapesy, Steve, Lee, etc? Might be an opportunity to publicise this cause once again?See "A Very Old Establishment Down The Skulls Head Yard" thread, Shinybiscuit.         On one condition,that so as to add an air of mystery that we are filmed in the dark,in a pub with our voises disguised.Not sure ten minutes would be enough,having said that,after anyone listening to us talk for 10 seconds theyd be reaching for the remote!! The skulls would be a really interesting thing to include in our doc, would you really be willing/able to be filmed? I'm sure we could stretch our loans to afford pints for willing participants. Not that I'm bribing anybody, of course. Yeah, why not. I don't know how you'd fit even an abridged version of the skulls story into ten minutes, though. Plus, I'm no Brad Pitt...

Shinybiscuit

Post by Shinybiscuit »

Well, we aren't doing a full documentary just about the skulls, it will just be a segment, and you'll be surprised at how long even 5 mins is to fill with speech. Just take us through the background, we don't need to know everything, and it should be fine Is there a place with the skulls now, or am I right in thinking they got taken down during some renovations?

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Si wrote: Shinybiscuit wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: I'd be happy to speak about the skulls. Anyone else want to join me? Chris, Drapesy, Steve, Lee, etc? Might be an opportunity to publicise this cause once again?See "A Very Old Establishment Down The Skulls Head Yard" thread, Shinybiscuit.         On one condition,that so as to add an air of mystery that we are filmed in the dark,in a pub with our voises disguised.Not sure ten minutes would be enough,having said that,after anyone listening to us talk for 10 seconds theyd be reaching for the remote!! The skulls would be a really interesting thing to include in our doc, would you really be willing/able to be filmed? I'm sure we could stretch our loans to afford pints for willing participants. Not that I'm bribing anybody, of course. Yeah, why not. I don't know how you'd fit even an abridged version of the skulls story into ten minutes, though. Plus, I'm no Brad Pitt... Well si,don't worry cos I'm a dead ringer for Angelina Jolie and it's amazing what a bit of airbrushing can do these days!

Si

Post by Si »

Shinybiscuit wrote: Well, we aren't doing a full documentary just about the skulls, it will just be a segment, and you'll be surprised at how long even 5 mins is to fill with speech. Just take us through the background, we don't need to know everything, and it should be fine Is there a place with the skulls now, or am I right in thinking they got taken down during some renovations? Yes, they're on a featureless office block just north of the city centre.Here's a precis of the story to save you reading the whole thread:The skulls were in an alley, on the wall of the stables belonging to the (long closed, but still standing) Crown and Fleece pub, which is between the Corn Exchange and the remains of the First White Cloth Hall, Kirkgate. In 1974, they were moved to their present site by the company which used the pub building as their premises. The first written mention of the skulls that we know about, was a 1968 newspaper article which told the story of how, many years ago, two new recruits to the army suffocated in the hay in the Crown and Fleece stables. To commemorate their deaths, the skulls were placed on the wall by persons unknown. Basically, we have been trying to find out if the story is wholly, or partly true, or if not, what is the real source of the carved skulls, and why were they there. Several members of Secret Leeds attempted a campaign to have the skulls replaced, but their current "owners" weren't interested, despite some publicity in the YEP.Even if the newspaper story can't be verified, the skulls are still a piece of Leeds' heritage, however small, and have proved to be (on this forum, at least) an enduring mystery, and deserve (IMO) some sort of publicity.

Si

Post by Si »

Lilysmum wrote: Si wrote: Shinybiscuit wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: I'd be happy to speak about the skulls. Anyone else want to join me? Chris, Drapesy, Steve, Lee, etc? Might be an opportunity to publicise this cause once again?See "A Very Old Establishment Down The Skulls Head Yard" thread, Shinybiscuit.         On one condition,that so as to add an air of mystery that we are filmed in the dark,in a pub with our voises disguised.Not sure ten minutes would be enough,having said that,after anyone listening to us talk for 10 seconds theyd be reaching for the remote!! The skulls would be a really interesting thing to include in our doc, would you really be willing/able to be filmed? I'm sure we could stretch our loans to afford pints for willing participants. Not that I'm bribing anybody, of course. Yeah, why not. I don't know how you'd fit even an abridged version of the skulls story into ten minutes, though. Plus, I'm no Brad Pitt... Well si,don't worry cos I'm a dead ringer for Angelina Jolie and it's amazing what a bit of airbrushing can do these days! I'll see you on set. Bring yer airbrush!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Shinybiscuit wrote: Well, we aren't doing a full documentary just about the skulls, it will just be a segment, and you'll be surprised at how long even 5 mins is to fill with speech. Just take us through the background, we don't need to know everything, and it should be fine Is there a place with the skulls now, or am I right in thinking they got taken down during some renovations? Yes, they're on a featureless office block just north of the city centre.Here's a precis of the story to save you reading the whole thread:The skulls were in an alley, on the wall of the stables belonging to the (long closed, but still standing) Crown and Fleece pub, which is between the Corn Exchange and the remains of the First White Cloth Hall, Kirkgate. In 1974, they were moved to their present site by the company which used the pub building as their premises. The first written mention of the skulls that we know about, was a 1968 newspaper article which told the story of how, many years ago, two new recruits to the army suffocated in the hay in the Crown and Fleece stables. To commemorate their deaths, the skulls were placed on the wall by persons unknown. Basically, we have been trying to find out if the story is wholly, or partly true, or if not, what is the real source of the carved skulls, and why were they there. Several members of Secret Leeds attempted a campaign to have the skulls replaced, but their current "owners" weren't interested, despite some publicity in the YEP.Even if the newspaper story can't be verified, the skulls are still a piece of Leeds' heritage, however small, and have proved to be (on this forum, at least) an enduring mystery, and deserve (IMO) some sort of publicity. I hate to correct you my Teley loving friend,but we have ad ate of 1892 for the first written mention of the Skulls.Ill see if i can find it on the thread found ithttp://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Messages.as ... e=2150Tasa pinpointed the article,where is she these days?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Lilysmum wrote: Si wrote: Shinybiscuit wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: I'd be happy to speak about the skulls. Anyone else want to join me? Chris, Drapesy, Steve, Lee, etc? Might be an opportunity to publicise this cause once again?See "A Very Old Establishment Down The Skulls Head Yard" thread, Shinybiscuit.         On one condition,that so as to add an air of mystery that we are filmed in the dark,in a pub with our voises disguised.Not sure ten minutes would be enough,having said that,after anyone listening to us talk for 10 seconds theyd be reaching for the remote!! The skulls would be a really interesting thing to include in our doc, would you really be willing/able to be filmed? I'm sure we could stretch our loans to afford pints for willing participants. Not that I'm bribing anybody, of course. Yeah, why not. I don't know how you'd fit even an abridged version of the skulls story into ten minutes, though. Plus, I'm no Brad Pitt... Well si,don't worry cos I'm a dead ringer for Angelina Jolie and it's amazing what a bit of airbrushing can do these days! I'll see you on set. Bring yer airbrush! Its not a magic wand Si!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Shinybiscuit wrote: Well, we aren't doing a full documentary just about the skulls, it will just be a segment, and you'll be surprised at how long even 5 mins is to fill with speech. Just take us through the background, we don't need to know everything, and it should be fine Is there a place with the skulls now, or am I right in thinking they got taken down during some renovations? Yes, they're on a featureless office block just north of the city centre.Here's a precis of the story to save you reading the whole thread:The skulls were in an alley, on the wall of the stables belonging to the (long closed, but still standing) Crown and Fleece pub, which is between the Corn Exchange and the remains of the First White Cloth Hall, Kirkgate. In 1974, they were moved to their present site by the company which used the pub building as their premises. The first written mention of the skulls that we know about, was a 1968 newspaper article which told the story of how, many years ago, two new recruits to the army suffocated in the hay in the Crown and Fleece stables. To commemorate their deaths, the skulls were placed on the wall by persons unknown. Basically, we have been trying to find out if the story is wholly, or partly true, or if not, what is the real source of the carved skulls, and why were they there. Several members of Secret Leeds attempted a campaign to have the skulls replaced, but their current "owners" weren't interested, despite some publicity in the YEP.Even if the newspaper story can't be verified, the skulls are still a piece of Leeds' heritage, however small, and have proved to be (on this forum, at least) an enduring mystery, and deserve (IMO) some sort of publicity. I hate to correct you my Teley loving friend,but we have ad ate of 1892 for the first written mention of the Skulls.Ill see if i can find it on the thread found ithttp://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Messages.as ... e=2150Tasa pinpointed the article,where is she these days? Aw, you missed my brief moment of glory two pages earlier. Yes indeed, where's Tasa. She was a whizz at finding cuttings etc..Was just thinking, if shinybiscuit has access to the Uni library, might be worth him having a bit of a search on it.