Another Beck.....or stream?

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thanks - I'll have to get the Hunslet map. :-D

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

While looking up Clifford Street on the 1908 Godfrey map I noticed an unusual wiggly admin boundary running down the hill from the South West corner of Woodhouse Moor to Woodsley Road, down Woodsley Road and over Burley road, across the valley and down to the river to the east of corporation yard. Unusually the building lines of the adjacent properties also follow this line. I can't remember anything on the system at work and will have a look but Woodsely Road/HydePark road do form a bowl cutting back into the valleyside. Hmmmmmm......

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Nope, nothing shown on the works maps but the tendency when the Victorians developed was to culvert/sewer foul, surface and water courses together so it could have been absorbed into the network as 'combined' and off to Knostrop. There is a surface water outfall into the river at the right place but this is surface drainage from teh YTV/Lawns area only.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

The car park of the North St./Sheepscar branch of Plumbcentreoverlooks an open section of Meanwood Beck. I noticed another culverted run of water entering from the east via a swept bend.Can be seen on Google Maps http://snipurl.com/ubu3wLatitude- N. 53 48 22Longitude- W. 1 32 3GPS Altitude - 34 m    
Attachments
__TFMF_3x2sh2jjec0j5x55ed2xih2s_5c0cae5a-007b-4f02-a8df-4cc59c664623_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3x2sh2jjec0j5x55ed2xih2s_5c0cae5a-007b-4f02-a8df-4cc59c664623_0_main.jpg (346.82 KiB) Viewed 2847 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

That comes from the corner of Benson Street and Cross Stamford Street, reunning east to West. Gipton Beck passes North to South within yard of this point but no connection is shown, indicating a separate beck.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brunel wrote: The car park of the North St./Sheepscar branch of Plumbcentreoverlooks an open section of Meanwood Beck. I noticed another culverted run of water entering from the east via a swept bend.Can be seen on Google Maps http://snipurl.com/ubu3wLatitude- N. 53 48 22Longitude- W. 1 32 3GPS Altitude - 34 m     The 1908 map shows a large Mill Pond just to the east of here at the junction with Rroseville Road, fed it seems by 'Gipton Beck' which runs into it.... The open section into which it runs in your picture is annotated as 'Carr Beck' running back to Meanwood which we refer to as Meanwood Beck. clearly the point at which Gipton looses its identity.    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

That culvert on the bend doesn't go far Brunel, i've been up it lol.It's bricked up not much further than the other side of the road, whatever it was had dried up now. If i recall correctly, it is possible it had a small diameter pipe, not much bigger than a gutter size coming through the blocked off wall. It's a only trickle that comes out of there. My guess is it was probably filled in when they constructed the industrial buildings over the road...the 60/70's era perhaps? *someones edited my post here lol* Why now, am I not surprised to find first hand observation to hand?If you look at he picture attached to the map pin on GE live, there is indeed a distinct lack of water coming down it.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

If that culvert carried on in the same direction, it would have only met up with the Gipton beck not far from there along Benson street..You can see the Meanwood beck culvert, and the Gipton beck section at Cross Stamford street on this google earth image herehttp://snipurl.com/ubv79    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: That culvert on the bend doesn't go far Brunel, i've been up it lol.It's bricked up not much further than the other side of the road, whatever it was had dried up now. If i recall correctly, it is possible it had a small diameter pipe, not much bigger than a gutter size coming through the blocked off wall. It's a only trickle that comes out of there. My guess is it was probably filled in when they constructed the industrial buildings over the road...the 60/70's era perhaps? Why now, am I not surprised to find first hand observation to hand?If you look at he picture attached to the map pin on GE live, there is indeed a distinct lack of water coming down it.I'm sure it will have been given but, where then does 'Gipton Beck join higher up if this is no lnonger the point please?     This is a section from the map showing the pond and roughly! traced in blue, the route of Gipton Beck to the pond and its overflow chanel down to a weir on its way to the other beck    (click to enlarge)
Attachments
__TFMF_swzaicedvdkq5m3cs0tki455_f29b1b4d-3adb-4e75-b17b-f78f40c578ec_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_swzaicedvdkq5m3cs0tki455_f29b1b4d-3adb-4e75-b17b-f78f40c578ec_0_main.jpg (525.63 KiB) Viewed 2847 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Meanwood meets Gipton/Gledhow                http://snipurl.com/ubv6wAs previously mentioned by Phill.D