Gipton Beck

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Phil - see the description for this Leodis pic of the Gaiety:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 673_161482

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Cardiarms wrote: Phil - see the description for this Leodis pic of the Gaiety:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 673_161482 Haha. That answers it all. thanks i still hear people talk about when it was in the open here tho, they must have long memories i guess!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I always thought it was a rather peculiar design, with an archway that didn't really lead anywhere. Now I know why

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

TPS - 'After there it crossed under Harehills lane and you can see how all the streets either side of it's line tend to stop dead either side of the culvert showing how it was an open beck at one time. Now there's fencing and extended back yards over the culvert.'That fits perfectly with my comment above about the surface water having a mind of its own there!PHILL - there are server problems with uploads at the moment - when its fixed I'll do the neessary as you are happy with them being used( unless BRandy beats me to it!)

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Thanks Chameleon, there's always server probs with firefox browser on here
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Thanks Chameleon, there's always server probs with firefox browser on here 'can't allocate space for object on primary server' or something.... dunki is on to it

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: Parksider, did you walk it? Hope you had a pint at the end! Cheers. ;-D     Part kerb crawled and part got out and walked. Got to Spencer Place and thought best to stop kerb crawling.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: Have we not touched on this before? Let's touch on it again!! I am still to go see if I can find Belle Isle beck but as a resume......1. Moseley/oil mill beck into the Aire at Horsforth2. Red/Bagley Beck into the Aire at Rodley3. Marsh/Adel/meanwood/carr/Lady beck into the Aire central leeds4. Miggy woods/belle isle beck into the Aire at Thwaite gate5. Pudsey/Farnley/Holbeck into the Aire central leeds6. Great heads/wykebeck diverted north of the sewage works and now into the aire below/opposite Rothwell.Six main becks. There are tributaries...... 3A. Gipton beck into the Carr/Lady beck at Roseville Road6A. Unnamed roundhay grange-wykebeck into the wyke beck at Easterley Road6B. Rossgill into the wyke at Foxwood6C. The rein beck into the wyke at north parkwayAny alterations or additions???

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: Have we not touched on this before? Let's touch on it again!! I am still to go see if I can find Belle Isle beck but as a resume......1. Moseley/oil mill beck into the Aire at Horsforth2. Red/Bagley Beck into the Aire at Rodley3. Marsh/Adel/meanwood/carr/Lady beck into the Aire central leeds4. Miggy woods/belle isle beck into the Aire at Thwaite gate5. Pudsey/Farnley/Holbeck into the Aire central leeds6. Great heads/wykebeck diverted north of the sewage works and now into the aire below/opposite Rothwell.Six main becks. There are tributaries...... 3A. Gipton beck into the Carr/Lady beck at Roseville Road6A. Unnamed roundhay grange-wykebeck into the wyke beck at Easterley Road6B. Rossgill into the wyke at Foxwood6C. The rein beck into the wyke at north parkwayAny alterations or additions??? Was/is there anything along Hunslet Road? The reason I ask is a suggestion last year from some strange review body, that (I think it was said road could be rebuilt to act as an emergency overflow for flood water, diverting in along there to the river, in the short term.Would seem likely that this could have been the route of a natural flow for this to work. 'Fraid I didn't keep a reference.    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Donkey Beck, Kirkstall. Got culverted and became Donkey Dyke. Roughly runs from Headingley Station, down the hill to the old Star and Garter (now a Kitchen shop) then into the river by Kirkstall Bridge.