Tunnels from City Station

Places to explore
chomic

Post by chomic »

LS1 wrote: Are these the tunnels under Subway? I remember someone talking about some tunnels under there once. Thinkit might have been on the Hidden Leeds onthe BBC Local site I stood at ground level with my back to the Wrens at the point above where the entrance is and there's a line of tar running across Merrion Street. When it reaches the pavement outside Subway there's a vent across the pavement in perfect alignment to where I stood. Maybe the basement of Subway runs under the road a little or they may too have a bricked up door.

Slapface

Post by Slapface »

Hi All Just registered here and find the various threads quite enthralling.I have lived in Leeds all my life and during my younger years did quite a lot of exploring (of the harmless fun type of course) Down by the old Kirkstall Powe Station there used to be several old "shelters" we assumed Air Raid ? I dont know basically a square hatch /opening at each end and a passage with I believe the same at the other end. These were on waste land in front of the Power Station and always open as I remember. No doubt built on now.I am interested in the City Station tunnels as when about 13 or so a friend and I walked along the Canal to Leeds and there was a semi undergound Lock with a sunken Barge in it. (always remember that although semi dark the water was very green). Walking across from there we found a door which led to a Wooden Walkway just wide enough for one person , similar to the bridges over locks with a Handrail at either side, like a "V" shape with the handrails at the top and the walkway at the bottom of the V. There was Barbed Wire woven across the walkway which was quickly negotiated. then we found ourselves walking along up in the top of some (what seemed like) massive arches with flowing water all around many feet below, quite scary really. The water was the river I believe and we were walking under the Station. The walkway was very rotten and had planks missing but hey, what the heck.. after a while we entered some bunker type areas and noticed workmen around, they did not see us but the bunkers had Coal or Coke in them so I guess they were for the then Steam Trains...We seaked along futher in this larger tunnel and saw a way out...! we emerged under the bridge in Neville Street just below the station itself. Quite amazed at how we had got there. (I remeber we did the same route later but after that found something else to distract us..) All good fun and at a guess around 1962 or so???.Keep up the great workSteve

Slapface

Post by Slapface »

Newbie here again, dont want to hog the forum but I spoke to a guy at work a while ago after first discovering this site and he reckoned his Dad was one of the guys who was involved in maintaining quite a lot of the underground stuff in Leeds. Much of it sewers when the new post war Council Estates were built but also in Leeds City and I am sure he mentioned a huge service tunnel with Pipes and Cable trays and various stuff running down each side (he was taken down these with his Father) and mntioned one which went from Skelton Grange Power Station to Leeds City Station. Is this a possibility? (huge= take into account he was only a kid) Also maybe connected he mentioned going down several levels into a tunnel ? around Marsh Lane (he reckons 100 feet down, several (3 or more ladders)..I will pump him as soon as I next see him for more info... on any topic of an underground nature.cheers Steve

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

slapface - it's not always obvious how many threads there are here - if you go to the main page which is the forum index and click on, for example, Underground streets and tunnels, then go to the very bottom you will see a drop-down menue letting you go back upto a year.I think you'll find there are threads which will expand your insight to your postings today - if you have a day or two to read them all!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Slapface wrote: I am sure he mentioned a huge service tunnel with Pipes and Cable trays and various stuff running down each side (he was taken down these with his Father) Steve That sounds like this place Ste
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

I remeber back in the late 70's me and my mates used to go exploring down by the basin. It was such a dirty stinking place back then, totally derelict it was. I only wish now I had had the experience, and bottle ( ) to go into the tunnels a bit deeper!!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

hamster

Post by hamster »

hi i was wondering i got told there r tunnels under temple newsam house. does anyone now where they lead ?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

hamster wrote: hi i was wondering i got told there r tunnels under temple newsam house. does anyone now where they lead ? From the tour on the Heritage Day, the tunels are really basement passages which were used for domestic purposes for the house and to allow the servant staff to pss from one side to the other, out of view of the incumbents as I recall.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

chomic wrote: Subway is opposite. wrong quote lol     
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

chomic wrote: I've found a tunnel entrance under New Briggate, I'll try getting a photo tonight. It's bricked up at the moment, I'll try and persuade the owner of the building to let someone have a look. I thought i'd seen this blocked off arch under the Wrens on secret Leeds before. The landlady Dawn got in touch with me about 2 months ago to go have a look at it. I was hoping for something really exciting. My initial thoughts were confirmed after much swinging of the lump hammer to find you come to solid concrete behind the breeze block. It was only an old window in the cellar and there had been a grill over the pavement above to let in daylight. These small wells had been filled in with concrete when the new tac tile paving had been layed above. Still it was worth checking out in case. That's another secret tunnel rumour crossed off the list I'm afraid.