Tunnels from City Station

Places to explore
chomic

Post by chomic »

Sorry, third time lucky. That should be 'Blue Coyote'!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Nice find there Chomic. Any chance of getting those blocks removed? I'd been in for a bit of that mate     
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Are these the tunnels under Subway? I remember someone talking about some tunnels under there once. Thinkit might have been on the Hidden Leeds onthe BBC Local site

chomic

Post by chomic »

Subway is opposite.
Attachments
__TFMF_02pso145hxedwpedqdylxt55_603299c8-afad-42e2-b2b0-9df5b769a2a7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_02pso145hxedwpedqdylxt55_603299c8-afad-42e2-b2b0-9df5b769a2a7_0_main.jpg (255.31 KiB) Viewed 2438 times

chomic

Post by chomic »

Phill_d wrote: Nice find there Chomic. Any chance of getting those blocks removed? I'd been in for a bit of that mate      I need to clear some stuff first, just to get to the wall. Then I'll ask about taking the blocks out.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hey mate this sounds good. I'd be up for a bit of graft to help if need be mate!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simong

Post by simong »

electricaldave wrote: Did anyone notice that concrete hole type thing in the Lumiere project.It looks like its part of a tunnel stub comng out of the old pot office building - West Popint which has now been changed over to residential. I would think that it's older than that, probably something to do with Leeds Central station. The only above ground remains of that was the goods lift tower in the car park of the Aireside Centre, which I assume won't survive the building of Lumiere. From what I can tell, Central had similar underground storage to Leeds City, and was probably connected to the Dark Arches in some way.    

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Simonq - Central did have storage space under the arches that it was built on but the arches were at ground level - Central was effectivley built at first floor level and you had to go up a staircase to enter the station area.At no time was it linked to the Dark arches, these are on a much lower level than the Central arches were.The "goods lift" in the Aireside carpark was actually one of three such structures that lowered railway wagons down into an extensive goods yard that was at ground level, access to this by road was off Wellington street about opposite the old Telecom building.Railway access to this yard was a curve off the line from Skipton which crossed the Aire on the lower bridge, the remains of which can be seen beyond the truncated viaduct.This structure is safe as its a listed building and will not be affected by the Lumiere project as this is actually going in the space between the old post office building and the hotel further along Whitehall Road.The lift in question will actually be part of the new Wellington Plazza project (if it ever happens) and it is intended to renovate it, cosmetically, as part of the project    

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Just following on from what I posted above (and not wanting to wander off topic for two long ) - take a look at these two photo's from the David Hays collection - www.davidheyscollection.comThe first one shows two of the lifting towers for lowering wagons down to the lower level.It is looking towards the station and city square and I dont think you have a chance of seeing city hall from this position today.In the lower photo you can see the lower level goods yard and in the background there is a wealth of interest with St Barts church at Armley visible on the horizon, the main building of Armley prison, part of Monk Bridge works and the gasometers where Armley Giratory is now situated.In the foreground is the pumping station for the hydraulic system that operated the three lifts.Sorry for going off topic somewhat but thought these two atmospheric shots were worth a viewing        

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Those shots are great. almost look like a trainset!