Leeds Woodhouse moor air raid shelter and other war relics around Leeds story

Places to explore
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Think i edited this post and deleted your comment by mistake LS1.Sorry Thanks Lee.I got a picture of the roundhay shelter today and added it to the bottom of the story.Like i said to someone else all the shelters are the same.When you've done one-you've done them all.There may be some bits and pieces, Old newspapers, fag packets. I doubt there would be any great find in them though.    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Brilliant stuff as ever Phill!!!! Keep Calm and Carry On!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Thanks guys We don't muck about us fellas. Were in and out with SAS precision lol (I wish) Cheers! EDIT.. I'll plug one of my most favourite all time explores here as well.Unfortunately it's in Manchester.But it's a great place.It's my ghost railway station unused by passengers since 1960.It's all there to this day, hid away and forgotten about in the middle of Manchester city centre.I loved this place!http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =497370934     During his recent tour of the Uk by train, the transport minister on his visit to Manchester announced that Mayfield Station is being looked at to reopen and serve as a terminus for trains from London, so freeing up capacity at Piccadilly .... but my guess is, don't hold your breath ..

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Another shelter here.http://snipurl.com/l9aus

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Brunel wrote: Another shelter here.http://snipurl.com/l9aus Yeah thats the one I was on about on my last post before it got deleted!You can go in I'm sure the guy who owns business is OK (if you ask of course!)I think it was used for filming for something a few years ago.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Hi Lee.I quoted what you had said (for some reason if you can admin it makes it look like i was saying the whole thing)I tried to change it and wiped the lot by mistake lol. soz.Anyway great find. Can you still get down it?It looks very overgrown these days.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

h5pdk

Post by h5pdk »

I use to work as a gardener for Leeds City Council in the mid 80's and remember going into the back garden of a house on Crossgates Road and finding an Anderson shelter in there. I should think it will still be there. I can't remember the exact house but it was on the left towards the top of the road where the Mecca bingo is. It might be visible on google earth.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Hi Lee.I quoted what you had said (for some reason if you can admin it makes it look like i was saying the whole thing)I tried to change it and wiped the lot by mistake lol. soz.Anyway great find. Can you still get down it?It looks very overgrown these days. dont worrk was only joking! you get the gist of what i meant! ;-)Think you can but I think it might be flooded.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phil, cracking shots as usual. I applaud you. Loved the forgotten railway in Ma... Mannn..... Maaaaaaannnc..... That place over the pennines. However, here's one that has slipped your net, not even mentioned.Jaily Park, next to Armley Jail off Oak Road.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Will try to upload the image later. At work at the mo and using firefox.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"