Donkey Beck, Kirkstall

Places to explore
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

While meandering on Leodis I cam across a picture captioned 'Donkey Beck, Kirkstall'. It's not much more than a small stream and a stone wall so impossible to place. Does anybody know where it is/was and if it's been culverted?

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

I can't find it on any of the old maps but Leodis also has some photos of Donkey Dyke sewer near Kirkstall Lane, taken in 1954, so perhaps there's a connection there?http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Computer problems!there's aa culverted water course that runs from Morris lane through the Abbey works on the corner with Kirkstall Lane. Probably explains the funny shaped buildings in the works and the house next door. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 19&iwloc=A

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

However, the surface water sewer refered to as Donkyey Dyke in the photos goes down church lane and then runs diagonally from Kirkstall Road under the goit and across the back of the war memorial to Halfords and then towards the river under the path on the south side of Bridge Road to the river emerging at this outfall:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 20&iwloc=A

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

So we can have a thread that mentions 'Donkey Dyke' and links to Leodis that show:TunnelsTrain TracksThrift storesCranesPubsTrucksGoitsWar memorialsThings you don't see any moreand no one sees fit to go:"Donkey Dyke?" Fnarr, fnarr....

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

Take a look at the 1852 1:10,560 scale OS sheet of the Kirkstall Area at www.old-maps.co.ukThere is a spring marked at the south eastern extent of Batcliff Wood (to the North of the station). From there it appears a beck runs south west, underneath the railway, to the north of the parsonage and the southern boundary of St Peter's churchyard, before crossing Morris Lane, Kirkstall Lane and then meandering southwards towards the river.Is this your Donkey Beck?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thanks, could be, I can't find anything else i the area.Cheers.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I have a friend who lived in Station Parade as a girl. She well remembers a little beck which ran from somewhere near the railway,about where the Fourways coach depot was until recently, towards Morris Lane. There was also an animal research centre at the top of Station Parade - I just wonder if that's where the "donkey" connection came from, although my friend doesn't remember the little beck having a name ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Makes sense, the station does sit in a bowl and the land slopes in small 'valley; down to Morris Lane and continues towards kirkstall road, as described by Grumpy tramp.
Attachments
__TFMF_gquts04513pycrjbzybvwnj1_e1e8476f-137f-43a5-880e-8f897bfbf9b1_0_main.png
__TFMF_gquts04513pycrjbzybvwnj1_e1e8476f-137f-43a5-880e-8f897bfbf9b1_0_main.png (157.84 KiB) Viewed 3760 times