Isle of Cynder

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Danke Herr LeodianI knew I'd read summat about a Hare. [going wildly off thread, a lovely creature, rewarding to observe and very different from the rabbit]     That's a cute photo Jogon.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers for that very interesting post Jogon.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Giles Map of 1815 with it (Sorocold's Water Works) shown in black straddling the 'Calls' Goit.        
Attachments
__TFMF_u02mwjzme30ml4uj3yvy1ibe_9dad451c-4a73-416e-bd92-ee6f830a7348_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_u02mwjzme30ml4uj3yvy1ibe_9dad451c-4a73-416e-bd92-ee6f830a7348_0_main.jpg (91.19 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Jogon wrote: Could someone with a trade journal or similar get an address for "...the premises of J. Boardman, cooper, underneath the railway arches.."This may have been Swinegate or Tenter Lane.Just trying to get a then + now fix on this leodis photo'Concordia Mills'Description:c.1890. View looks across a weir which spans a mill race. This water had been diverted from the River Aire to power several mills in the area between Sovereign Street and Swinegate, including Concordia Mills, seen towards the left. In the background are the premises of J. Boardman, cooper, underneath the railway arches.I'm guessing it is roughly from the Pitt Row car park / back of Bibis. "In 1583, the stone stairs or "Grieve," on the west side of Leeds bridge, were built with stone from Kirkstall Abbey. These stairs led to the tenters and to Embsey Bridge which crossed the mill stream to the Isle of Cinder. "

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cardie - that's interesting. Where was it? Do you have a good book that I might enjoy?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

From here:http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WR ... 7.htmlLots of links on the main page.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Regarding the 'Grieve' (or as Griece) I thought the following in the 1583 section in John Mayhall's 'Annals of Yorkshire' vol 1 published in 1861 may be of interest:-The stone stairs, or "Griece on the west syde of the bridge at Ledes," were built this year with stone brought from "Christall Abbaye," when labourers' wages were 6d. a day, whereas now, says Thoresby, "they are hardly content with the double." These stairs led to "the Tentures." A pair of tenters were then about twenty-six or twenty-eight yards long--cloth being generally made into "dozens" or short cloths, but about the year 1700, pieces of cloth upwards of sixty yards long were made. Near the "Griece," was Embsey bridge, crossing to the land now insulated, and called the "Isle of Cinder."The "Tentures" was in italics (as Tentures) but for some reason I could not get it in italics in the extract. Strange!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As there are mentions of Bondman's weir in this thread (see at least page 2 and 3) I thought these two photos in the Leodis webiste may be of interest:-This is a link to one titled 'Bondman's weir' and its caption is "View showing sluice before fixing float at Bondman Weir". I assume that once a water level reached a certain height the float would sink and open the sluice (or perhaps it was the reverse). Does anyone know anything about this intriguing floatation device? The photo is dated 10 November 1905:- http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... Y=FULLThis is a link to a photo titled 'Swinegate Goit' but which seems clearly to be of the same feature in the other photo. It is dated 28 October 1905, so a little earlier in the construction:-http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI came across the photos by chance when I was doing a search in Leodis for 'sluice' hoping to find something elsewhere in Leeds, but I did not find anything for there!        

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Great find Leo Anyone else up for that Kayaking trip?