Isle of Cynder

Places to explore
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Jogon. I thought (well hoped!) it would interest you (and others).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

V helpful LeoI had never heard of the King's Mills or understood the relevance of the Swinegate Goit till recently.In fact I suspect Mrs J wishes I had never heard of it !Thanks and G'night.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cardiarms wrote: Here'sthe two arches,Swingate goit outfall?Crossing from the left just before the traffic light. I was hoping to include cardie's pic which hasn't come out.Anyway here is an 1869 photo of the old stone Leeds Bridge looking at the North Bank from the East Bank.The relevance to this thread is the two outlets visible seem to tie in with description of Sorocold's [1694] Water Works Engine on Pitfall Street, the 1815 Giles Plan having marked on it in Feet & Inches              "..the elevation above the Waste Wear of the Water Works Engine on the East side of the Bridge.." ie above the River Aire.Having tapped off this power, the Swinegate Goit continued, returning through Warehouse Hill to the Aire (from whence it came) behind 42 The Calls

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Chatting with a pleasant chap today who worked with Prof Beresford and, I think, knew of the 'Bibis dig'.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cany anyone (uncle mick) verify this from trade journals?"...Kings Mill was still there until at least 1921 when it is shown on an Ordnance Survey map; the tram shed at the time was smaller than it would become later after the mill was demolished, and was in existence at the same time..."

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's an interesting but confusing photo Jogon. If I'm right then it is Lower Briggate running across, with the triangular area on the left being the start of Meadow Lane etc. The train station is in the top right and what looks like a river (!) is Sovereign Street with the large building being the tram shed (Queen's Hall). I can't however figure out what the black curving river (goit ???) thing is on the right and below the tram shed (I wonder if it is just a misleading shadow?).

jim

Post by jim »

Swinegate in shadow?

jim

Post by jim »

Jogon wrote: Cany anyone (uncle mick) verify this from trade journals?"...Kings Mill was still there until at least 1921 when it is shown on an Ordnance Survey map; the tram shed at the time was smaller than it would become later after the mill was demolished, and was in existence at the same time..." According to Jim Soper's "Leeds Transport Vol 2" the tram depot was extended starting 1927 and in full use 1931. The relevant pages (664 - 667) also say "The old bus garage was demolished in 1929 and the King's Mills also had to be vacated to allow demolition". There are also two clear plans of the site and area before and after the extensions.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jim wrote: Swinegate in shadow? Cheers Jim. That does seem likely.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

v helpful jimCouldn't reconcile view to text but that fits. So all of the railway was built over watercourses and bridge (some still incorporated into the arches). But bits survived much later than our original 1905 demolition.