Isle of Cynder

Places to explore
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

I was at Armley Mills Industrial Museum yesterday and saw these millstones which were recovered in the 1997 excavation of Kings Mill. The photos are not of very great quality as I couldn't get the angle I wanted because of a fence in the way, but I thought it was worth adding them to the record of the mill which has been built up through this thread.While at the museum, I saw some "what and wheres" which have made previous appearances in the Secret Leeds Forum!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Tasa wrote: a fence in the way, but I thought it was worth adding them to the record of the mill which has been built up through this thread. How big was that fence Tasa? I have an idea why it's there if it's a big new one, it was only a railing before Glad you got there at last, did you find it a little eccentric?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Tasa wrote: a fence in the way, but I thought it was worth adding them to the record of the mill which has been built up through this thread. How big was that fence Tasa? I have an idea why it's there if it's a big new one, it was only a railing before Glad you got there at last, did you find it a little eccentric? It's still a low fence/gate, Phill (but not just a railing), but it made it impossible to get a photo of the information board and the millstones in one shot as the sign is directly behind the fence.Yes, I really liked the museum - I preferred the outdoor exhibits and the railway shed to the mill itself, but that's just my taste! I spent the first 10 minutes waiting for a train to go over the Kirkstall viaduct so that I could photograph it against the rusting locos in the yard

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Tasa wrote: Yes, I really liked the museum - I preferred the outdoor exhibits and the railway shed to the mill itself, but that's just my taste! I spent the first 10 minutes waiting for a train to go over the Kirkstall viaduct so that I could photograph it against the rusting locos in the yard Yes the outdoor bit for me too, It's the part they haven't seemed to document, they've just collected it and don't know what to do with it. It's just left there rusting away in the long grass, makes an interesting place like that.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

As requested by Jogon an article from The Leeds Mercury on 18th November 1891http://tinyurl.com/chzbool

jim

Post by jim »

Another reference to the last years of the Mill building is to be found on page 7 of "The King's Mills, Leeds", Goodchild and Rathmell, which Jogon was good enough to give me some time ago."The final use of the Mill was during and after the First World War, as the Northern Area Army Clothing Depot, when millions of garments passed through, with 750,000 per week during the last year of the war."

MrsG

Post by MrsG »

Not sure if anyone might find this interesting but I’ve just finished reading Margaret Drinkalls ‘Leeds Book of Days’ on my kindle and recalled reading something about Kings Mill Dam.Date was November 16th 1866, Leeds Express.‘The continuous rains in Yorkshire caused the River Aire to overflow its banks, resulting in the most disastrous floods to have occurred for a great number of years. At the junction of Hunslet Lane and Meadow Lane, the water was about 2 feet deep. There was also a great overflow at the Waterloo Ford, near the Wellington Station, where water flooded the works connected with the new station and carried away a footbridge. The water swept into the Kings Mill dam, causing a chimney of the corn mill, occupied by the executors of the late Mr Edward Hudson, to collapse. A large piece of masonry from the chimney projected across the dam and struck the roof of a building in School Close, completely demolishing it, and both the wife and son of Mr Thompson were both buried in the ruins. Thankfully they were both safely rescued and taken to the Infirmary. An empty barge swept away from Howard’s wharf and smashed against another, causing it to break into pieces and sink. The other barge, carrying coal, was swept downriver with such force that it was only brought to a stop by the abutments of Leeds Bridge, where part of it remained fixed’

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

TaGives a flavour of what the area must've been like.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

[quotenick="Leodian"]I have reproduced here a scanned copy of a drawing titled 'Leeds Old Bridge and