Tetley's underground lake?

Places to explore
paulo73

Post by paulo73 »

All the recent hoo-ha about Tetley's brewery closing in Leeds has set me thinking - is there any truth to the rumour I've heard occasionally over the years about there being some kind of lake (or maybe a stream/ culvert) under the brewery, water from which is used to make the beer? And if there is, is it officially documented anywhere (as opposed to being the stuff of 'pub chat' legend)?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

IIRC there are boreholes into an aquifer in the rock, not a lake as such just saturated rock.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

There are natural springs under the brewery which is why it was built there (one is roughly under the salem chapel). I spoke to Tetleys in the 1990's when researching wells in leeds. they no longer used the water from the wells on site.There is no lake.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: There are natural springs under the brewery which is why it was built there (one is roughly under the salem chapel). I spoke to Tetleys in the 1990's when researching wells in leeds. they no longer used the water from the wells on site.There is no lake. Probably why it ended tasting like a slightly better Boddingtons in the end then.By the way thats not a compliment
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

There are boreholes on the site in various place and when I was there we had two still fitted with pumps. They produce methane so that had to be vented. They were a back up to the normal towns water. All brewing water had to have the PH changed an that was done with Sulphuric Acid.There was no lake but a stream did run under the brewery towards the crown point end. It could be the natural final course of belle isle beck unless anyone knows different? No lake though.