City Square

Places to explore
ads

Post by ads »

I have seen reference before about the long abandoned plans for the Leeds Underground from underneath City Square, but I am curious if there is anything else under there. I have seen reports about air raid shelters and toilets under there, and have seen stories of large open spaces underneath, does anyone have any real facts or knowledge as to what is (or isn't) under there?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Yes the toilets are still under there. I believe they uncovered the entrance when they remodelled city square. I think it was in the Y.E.P. I wish I'd have been photographing then. I'd have been down sharpish myself ;-)
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Older friends will remember the "Rag Times" - a very convincing spoof newspaper published by the students for the annual Rag Week. I remember in 1953, when we had just conquered Mount Everest, a most convincing article with picture appeared on the front page - "UNIVERSITY ASSAULT ON MOUNT PRESTON." Mount Preston was a street near Clarendon Road, and an actual photo appeared, looking up the street with parked cars and at the far end was a cartoon precipitous cone shaped mountain showing climbing students on ropes just reaching the pointed summit and planting our flag. The detailed account began with the news that " the expedition started out from the subterranean conveniences beneath City Square."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

BLAKEY wrote: Older friends will remember the "Rag Times" - a very convincing spoof newspaper published by the students for the annual Rag Week. I remember in 1953, when we had just conquered Mount Everest, a most convincing article with picture appeared on the front page - "UNIVERSITY ASSAULT ON MOUNT PRESTON." Mount Preston was a street near Clarendon Road, and an actual photo appeared, looking up the street with parked cars and at the far end was a cartoon precipitous cone shaped mountain showing climbing students on ropes just reaching the pointed summit and planting our flag. The detailed account began with the news that " the expedition started out from the subterranean conveniences beneath City Square." great little anecdote there BLAKEY (i cannot say your name without the little voice in my head shouting BUTLARRRR lol)and like ive said before theres definitely a book in there somewhere mate!    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

You've done it this time Battlah - the MANAGER'S GOING TO 'EAR ABOUT THIS !! LOL
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

I can say 100 % the toilets are still under city square and in perfect condition they is a tunnel from the queens hotel that was blocked up a some time ago my friend was working down in the cellars on the queens and saw the wall was bricked up leading to city squarethey was curious and opened the wall to get in off they went and the toilets was there with a light still on and all working perfect.
biggee

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

We need pictures, did he/she get any? They must have, please say they did.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There's still a sewer connection on the southside of the square that ends just before the third lady statue from the left. There's an old water main too but that dates from 1850 which predates city square.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I'm guessing that the stairs down the toilets are in the masononary in the foreground which does line up with the sewer on our map. Or I'm wrong.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 5_17916506

A little birdy

Post by A little birdy »

Yes he has some pictures. There nothing special at all. To be honest it doesn't look like he's ventured further than the confines of the Queens hotel cellars. There is certainly no evidence of toilets in there. I doubt he's discovered anything long lost at all. You can see all new wiring, plumbing and even telephones on the pictures. Were are the pictures of the toilets and blocked off stairs that lead to City square?His pics are here. Pity there poor quality too.http://www.flickr.com/photos/24568668@N ... ail/You'll need to copy and paste the address into your address bar.